Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
JGuiher
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Yikes! Need help getting setup

Trying to write the most simple app in the history of BB programming and I am not having much luck.  I will say that I have never done something like this, so it is going to take me a while!

Goal:  Have an app that opens the browser to a certain URL for our business.  That's it!

Problems:

A.  I have a BB Curve 8330 with v 4.5.0.77 software (Platform 3.2.0.51) and I have downloaded (after 7 tries) JDE 4.7 and got it to install.  It worked last night but it was 2am and I had to get up at 6:30, so I shut it down.  Now it gives me some can't find javaw error.  I found this thread http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=java_dev&message.id=12590&query.id=40... but the guy didn't post what he edited to bat file to say so it would work.  I have Java JDK 1.5.0_17 and it can be found on my computer at C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.5.0_17\bin\javaw so I don't know why JDE can't find it.  If I run the bat file, it says C:\Program files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.7.0\bin>start javaw - Xmx256M -DRIM_RUNTIME=..\lib -DRIM_BIN=..\bin -jar IDE.jar

No idea what that means, but it again gives me that popup that says it can't find javaw.

B.  When I finally get this thing opened, where do I go to learn what to do with those samples provided so I can learn?  Need some sort of guide on how to use the build functions and stuff.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
JGuiher

Re: Yikes! Need help getting setup

No one has seen this before?
Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

Add the JDK /bin directory to you Windows "PATH" environment variable.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
JGuiher

Thank You.

Why does the install not do this for you?

Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

I guess you have to ask Sun Micro - it is there Java JDK installer that does not bother to update the path.

The RIM JDE doesn't know what JDK you are using when it is installed, or where it is at, and it doesn't try to to look for it or guess which version. I have 3 different JDK's installed to support various tools, so I'm kinda glad it doesn't.

Please use plain text.