Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
specific
My Device: Tablet

Zxing 1D barcode Reader

Hi all

I m using Zxing rim lib and its working for QR code but not for 1D.

Can anyone please help me for 1D barcode reader.

Thanks

Manish

bog
Contributor
bog
My Device: 9800

Re: Zxing 1D barcode Reader

does annyone know how to fix the problem? I have the same problem.

Contributor
demaniak
My Device: Various

[ Edited ]

*sigh*

Don't you just LOVE googling for a problematic problem, and then finding a thread like this there where everybody is just going "help me help me".?

ANYWAY, we are having the same problem. Sample code works fine with 2D QR code, but 1D scanning fails completely.

Some googling led me to this:

Usefullness...debateable.

The last link hints that a potential problem might be a lack of an autofocus camera....

Anybody else having any luck?

Developer
indusBULL
My Device: Not Specified

Have you looked at below forum thread?

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/ZXING-Barcode-Scanning-API-for-OS-5-0/m-p/71...

There are some useful suggestions when working with zxing library. I was able to create a 1D barcode scanner with good success rate. Only problem was when scanning very small and highly dense barcode.

Note that BB sample code provided with zxing library is targeted specifically for 2D QR. It will fail for other bar-codes. You need to go through the library documentation and sample code to tweak it to make it scan other bar-codes. Changes are really minor. If you want performance optimization, implement suggestions provided in above thread.
Contributor
demaniak

MWhahaahaha....we got it working with a left-sided approach.

I discovered that the RIM provided build of Eclipse (Helios) has a "Import Samples" button (by accident).

So I tried it.

Lo and behold, there was a barcode scanner sample (for QR Codes) that Worked.

So, I just added BarcodeFormat hints for Code128 etc, and viola, magic in the water.

Some notes:

- only works on real OS6 devices (i.e. NOT simulator with webcam)

- the main magic seems to be in the way the camera view finder was intialized (looking at the non-working code we had, and the working sample code)

- The sample app spazes out spectaculary on 9900 (OS7). When the viewfinder is opened, it zooms to max, and goes grey scale. Probably this will be fixed in future builds of OS7.

- I don't care about OS7 right now :smileyvery-happy:

OS5.0 is a potential issues going forward, but I will burn that bridge when I come to it (have been reading up on the forums etc).

Cheers!

Developer
vishal_33
My Device: blackberry bold

okay so you got a solution for os 6.0? right?

i have a issue on os 5.0.  and also there is no auto scanning barcode ? its compalsary to take a snapshot.

Regards
Vishal Patel
Contributor
demaniak

[ Edited ]

6.0 = Yes.

5.0 = blech, that still is a problem.

I suspect also that the continous scanning (auto scanning) might not be entirely feasible on OS5.0 devices in anyway, since the camera hardware will probably be lower spec (this is speculation on my part though).

One funny thing we did notice - image orientation on the torch (9800, OS6.0). The image we fed into the barcode scanning code was actually rotated by 90 degrees. So just one more little thing to watch out for.

IF and when we ever get barcode scanning to work on OS5.0, I will post some results  (if possible). In the meanwhile, I have come accross threads (RIM forums) where people allegedly got things working on OS5.0 (not auto scanning though) .

New Contributor
zac79
My Device: 9700

This is a 1D barcode decoder dedicated in decoding linear barcodes, like code128, code39, code25 Interleaved, ean128, upc-a, upc-e, ean-8, and ean-13, etc.

Regular Contributor
tububerry
My Device: Bold 9930

I am getting autofocus feature failed in bold 9930 V7.1.

The scan image goes blurr & night mode, so it takes a while scanning in this device.

is this a known problem? did anybody get a fix?