Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
marchywka
My Device: Not Specified

accelerometer resolution 18 millig's in storm?

any way to increase? i was playing with a level app and this is a lot of tilt.

Also wanted artificial horizon for car. Thanks.

Developer
rcmaniac25
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.2.1.3253, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.997 Dev OS, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.0.1418, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

Re: accelerometer resolution 18 millig's in storm?

I don't think there is a way to increase it. I don't really get how to measure the amount of detail that the accelerometer has but you might be able to find information in the "AccelerometerSensor" documentation.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer
bbwr

I don't think the resoltion can be improved, although I'd love to be wrong. 18mg is my observation too.

Having said that, 18mg is quite sensitive. Are you sure you're looking at the correct axis of tilt?

Developer
marchywka

Well, it isn't hard to just print all 3 and right now I don't remember if  "1000" is 9.8m/s^2 or 980 is 1 g but close enough in either case.  It isn't hard to turn resolution into angle, .018g seems to be a significant amount of tilt, empirically it seems to be more than a bubble level would need to show out-of-plane. But, for some simple artificial horizon and gross acceleration measurements its fine ( am I going down hill or turning left etc). If you had a way to vibrate it in some reasonable way you could force flucutations and average them and I guess even if there is enough sensor noise you can average sample if the sample rate is high enough.  If the signal is clean, the ADC kills your hopes...