Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9360
My Carrier: Digicel

app world like list with ticker

hi,

how can i implement a list like the one blackberry appworld uses? its a multiline list that has a ticker which scrolls back and forth (horizontally) when the discription text is too long.

thanx in advance!

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: app world like list with ticker

The multi-line list is easy, basically this appears to be a standard ListField, where the height has been defined as large enough to accept multiple lines, then the drawListRow has written each of these out.  look for samples of multiple line ListFields in the forum. 

The ticker is almost certainly just a separate Thread or TimerTask, that just invalidates the row.  This will cause drawListRow to be called again, and the code in drawListRow will maintain a current 'offset' and increment that to paint characters.  This will be incremented each time until the code gets to the end, in which case it will restart giving the ticker effect.  If you search for ticker I think you will find sample code for a LabelField that does the same thing.  ListField code will be very similar. 

Hope this helps. 

New Contributor

hi peter,

thanx for the reply!

yes i did find some code for the ticker labelfield but some methods (onDisplay()) are deprecated. i did manage to write a multiline listfield.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Good,  Is this solved then?

New Contributor

hi peter,

sorry for my late replies.

sadly no ,

i still can't get the ticker to work properly. is their some sample code i can look at that works with os 6 devices?

thanx again!