Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
sperez90
My Device: Curve 9300 / Torch
My Carrier: Virgin

applications size?

Hello Everyone,

HOw do I know what is the actual size of the application I have developed for my BB. Is it the size of my project folder created by  Blackberry Java Plug in? If that folder is 7 MB is that too much? Any tips to reduce the application size will be greately appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
gluth
My Device: 9860/PlayBook/Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Plus GSM

Re: applications size?

There is a KB article on that, but in general 7MB for data, 7MB for code - 14 MB total.

Tips:

- resize & compress images with jpg,

- compress music with mp3 (do you need stereo and high quality sound? chirping speaker will not show difference),

- compress large textual resources with gzip and use ZipInputStream (by example css, js, large html pages)

- consider changing input file formats (xml have very large overhead over content),

- download and store data in filesystem instead of including it in application,

- if your application have resources for multiple platforms - chop it into smaller pieces (by example by screen ratio, touch-non touch, os version etc)

Hope this helps.

Found my post helpfull? Like it! It solves your trouble? Help others and accept it as solution. Search before asking.
My apps: Secret Cod3s | Should my tablet be banned?
--
Jakub Nietrzeba
PGS Software S.A.
Your reliable partner in Poland - IT Outsourcing - BlackBerry, iPhone, Web and Standalone applications
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sperez90
My Device: Curve 9300 / Torch
My Carrier: Virgin

Great feedback. So basically the file forder that contains the BB project itself doesnt reflect the actual size of the application right?
Please use plain text.
Developer
gluth
My Device: 9860/PlayBook/Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Plus GSM

Tips from above have to be applied manually and with care on resources of application. But in general  cod file is smaller that sum of all .java files and resources (compilation limit file size, and there is a bunch of optimalizations made on result classes). Resources can take very large amount of space and are easy to optimize, devices have limited screen sizes and limited capabilities - images and sounds can be optimized to be looking good on devices (by ex. there is no need to go FullHD).

Found my post helpfull? Like it! It solves your trouble? Help others and accept it as solution. Search before asking.
My apps: Secret Cod3s | Should my tablet be banned?
--
Jakub Nietrzeba
PGS Software S.A.
Your reliable partner in Poland - IT Outsourcing - BlackBerry, iPhone, Web and Standalone applications
Please use plain text.