If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

barcode example not working

I have tried the barcode example in the 6.0 sdk and here

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/How-to-use-the-Barcode-API/ta-p/574569

and it does nothing when trying to scan any barcode.

how do you get the demo app to work?

Please use plain text.
Developer
dnepr
My Device: Playbook

Re: barcode example not working

What device are you testing on?

Torch can only scan non-QR barcodes when in landscape mode.

Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley

On the Torch.  I tried all the orientations and none works.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Jayawewa
My Device: Not Specified

Hi,

After doing research and spending a lot of time figuring out why the scanner is not working I finally got a basic scanner working.

1. QR barcodes can be scanned both landscape  and portrait modes
  2. The rest of the ones can be only scanned in landscape so, it’s always safe to say that scan all barcodes in landscape mode
  3. QR barcodes are the easiest to be recognized

I’m still fighting with one issue with regards to the scanner, but If any further questions or issues let me know I’ll try to help as much as possible.

Cheers,

Jay 

Please use plain text.
New Developer
chenry1124

I am also testing the Barcode example on the Torch.  I modified the example to expect BarcodeFormat.Code_39.  I have two Torches - one seems to work fine, but the other apparently has a hardware autofocus problem - the image in the viewfinder is always blurry and the software is never able to read it.  I read in the Crackberry forums that others have also had similar trouble:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/anyone-notice-close-up-mode-camera-useless-538793/

Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley

hmm... no matter what i do the example apps do not work.  I see the camera doing auto focus and nothing sanned.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Jayawewa

Hi smiley,

1. What type of barcode are you trying to scan?
  2. Is the barcode you are trying to scan large or small?
  3. Do you see the barcode lines clearly through the viewfinder [the gaps between the lines must be clearly visible]?
  4. Have you tried scanning a QR barcode? [use the following link http://invx.com/code/?code=BlackBerry+barcode+scanner+test%0D%0A&fg=%23000000&bg=%23ffffff&width=&he...]

Let me know the answers to the above and I’ll try to help you to get it to work.

Jay.

PS: Why isn’t any of the so called BlackBerry Guru’s not talking about this topic. Read my posting on the following link as well [http://devblog.blackberry.com/2010/10/barcode-api/]

Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley

thanks for the reply but i gave up already.

none of the examples work.  i tried many bar codes 1 and 2 d and it just dont work.

when i try to scan the camera just focus and refocus.  there is no line on the screen to line up the bar code

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Jayawewa

Hi,

I hope you tried scanning holding the device in landscape. If not try like that on a big image of a barcode like the one I sent. If that also doesn’t work, it might be an issue with your device.

If you want to be a BB developer, you shouldn’t give up so easily. Almost everything is harder than it should be on BB, compared to Android, iPhone and Windows Mobile.

Cheers,

Jay

Please use plain text.
Developer
NOTiFYPiNPOiNT
My Device: Bold 9700 - 6.0 Bundle 1202 (v6.0.0.344, Platform 6.6.0.50)
My Carrier: Orange UK

[ Edited ]

Installed OS 6 on my 9700 today with the sole purpose of developing a bar code reading app.

Have compiled and deployed the code example on my 9700 with the screen doesn't show the "display" or "scan"  buttons. Can see them in the Torch simulator.

Will I be able (with mods) to get this working on a 9700 or is the screen an issue?

Thanks.

"It's all about quality (of posts) not quantity"
Please use plain text.