Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: 8300, 8800, 8700f, 9000

data transsmition recognition

hi,

is there possibility to recognize that (for example) right now i'm downloading/sending data using BIS/BES/WiFi/TCP?

regards

Developer
My Device: Curve - 8320

Re: data transsmition recognition

Do you want to conclude which channel is being used for Data IN/OUT ?   or

You just want to conclude that data is being sent/received by means of any channel among BIS/BES/WIFI ?

*(Vipul)() ;
Developer

i want to check what is used when sending/receiving data. for example-i'll download something using browser. and i want to check what was used for this download.

is it possibile?

Developer

To my knowledge, Blackberry API doesn't provide means to gather this information. One can not monitor, if some other application is using connectivity and which channel of connectivity is being used.

There are no specific API for this in my knowledge, but in the following scenarios one can conclude which communication channel could have been picked up by the system, to complete the request:

1. If you open Blackberry Browser and attempt to hit an internal resource, then --> BES

2. If you open Internet Browser and attempt to hit external sites like- google, then --> BIS

3. If you open WAP Browser and attempt to open some external site, then --> TCP

4. If WAF_WIFI is enabled but WAF_3GPP is not, then --> WIFI

To the lowest, one can conclude that any type of connectivity is being used or not, by using the API's RadioInfo.getNumberOfPacketsReceived() and RadioInfo.getNumberOfPacketsSent() before and after the possible/suspected use of network and then subtracting the former value from the later. This can not tell which channel was used by whom, but can tell at a really high level, if at all any network channel was used.

*(Vipul)() ;
Developer

ok, but is it possible programatically to recognize that user has opened:

1)BlackBerry Browser

2)Internet Browser

3) WAP Browser

so that i can "start" measuring data sent/received ?

also-if WAF_WIFI is enabled and i'll open InternetBrowser-am i using Bis or wifi?

Developer

Unfortunately, there is no programatic way to differentiate between which Browser are you using. It will appear in the running application's list as "Browser". The Browser then uses different type of browsing session to route the data accordingly.

There is also no notification to get informed when the Browser was invoked, because the Browser application always runs after the BlackBerry bootup. You may however, keep on checking if the Browser application came to foreground or is in background.

Based on their foreground/background status, you may want to measure   :-(

*(Vipul)() ;
Developer

so if there is no chance to differ which browser i'm using-there is no possibility to check what type connection i use..

:smileysad:

anyway, thx for help!

regards