Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
anildeveloper
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

debugging on real device different subversions jde - firmware

[ Edited ]

I want to debug my code on a device connected via usb. I know that I need the same versions in JDE and on device.

For example JDE 4.5 -> device has to have firmware 4.5.

Although I have verified this the debugger tells me that he cannot find net_rim_app_manager.debug and many others. When I navigate with browse to the debug files simulator files of the JDE he doesn't like that and tells me 

Bad debug information: <InstallPathToJDE>\simulator\net_rim_app_manager.debug(4846a5e2)-net_rim_app_manager(494996a0)

My JDE regognizes the usb-attached-device. When I ignore the errors I see some, but not all messages in the debug window. So the connection is ok.

My installed JDE-simulator firmware Version DOES match the firmwareversion of the Device BUT not the firmware-sub-version-number. I mean the numbers after the second dot (4.5.XXXX) Is this the reason of the error-message?

If yes,

- how and where can I get the EXACT matching firmware-subversion for my device?

- how can I make a real-device-debugging with the latest firmware?

If no, do I miss something other?

my JDE:4.5.0

my JDE-4.5.0.Simulator-Device: 8310

my JDE-4.5.0.Simulator-Firmware:4.5.0.44

my real-Device: 8310

my real-Device-Firmware: 4.5.0.124

Thanks for help

Anil

Message Edited by anildeveloper on 04-27-2009 04:47 PM
Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

Re: debugging on real device different subversions jde - firmware

The net_rim_app_manager.debug eror is normal and can be ignored.

What are the "many others"?

Please use plain text.
Developer
anildeveloper

Thanks;

Yes I know it can be ignored; The "many others" files which the debugger cannot find, he tells you when you don't click on ignore. Nevertheless I would like to know if it is possible to get a configuration without getting the error-messages and if the not matching firmware-subversions are the reason for the errors.

Please use plain text.
Developer
anildeveloper

[ Edited ]

ok, after some searching and debugging, I found the solution in this post

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=java_dev&message.id=3769&query.id=266...

here a little summary (including comments from above mentioned posting). In this example we suppose you use JDE 4.5.0.

• Verify that you have installed latest BlackBerry-Desktop-Manager. So you can be sure, that your device connected by usb is detected
  • The versions have to mach exactly! When you have firmware 4.5.0.102 on your JDE-Simulator you MUST have firmware 4.5.0.102 on your real device. RIM provides many different simulators with different firmware for debugging http://www.blackberry.com/developers/downloads/simulators
  • Install the correct matching simulator and follow the Instructions in BB JDE Development Guide 4.5.0 Chapter
    "Install .debug files on your computer"
  • Connect your real device via usb
  • Compile your code in RIM JDE
  • if you use sensible apis -> sign your code
  • Load the compiled cod-files to your attached real device with JavaLoader.exe
  • Debug -> Attach To -> Handheld -> USB(<YOUR DEVICE PIN>)
  • No you can debug, use breakpoints, view console output, etc...

Note: Although I have installed now the exact matching versions. The debugger tells about some files that he "Cannot find" them i.e.:

net_rim_theme_120_green_320x240_b.debug
net_rim_theme_120_green_320x240_b-(1-13).debug

net_rim_theme_120_today_320x240_b.debug
net_rim_theme_120_today_320x240_b-(1-13).debug

net_rim_bb_smime.debug

I think these debug-files are relatively unimportant for most applications, so you can ignore it.

A good indicator to know that there is really a version incompatibility is when the first file he cannot find is "net_rim_app_manager.debug". 

Regards Anil

Message Edited by anildeveloper on 04-28-2009 10:15 AM
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Excellent summary, thanks
Please use plain text.
New Developer
bbd01

What are you meant to do when there is no simulator that matches your devices firmware?  For example, I have firmware 4.6.1.168, and the closest available is 4.6.1.102.

Can I downgrade the firmware on my blackberry somehow?

Please use plain text.