Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Trusted Contributor
KraKra
My Device: Not Specified

error 907 upon app update - any ideas ?

Several users reported "Error 907 - Invalid COD" when they tried to update one of our apps to the latest version.
When they delete the old version, they can install the new version just fine.

Problem has been reported against several scenarios:
* App World pushed app, upgraded via App World
* App World pushed app, upgraded via OTA
* OTA app, upgraded via OTA

User environments:
* device 9700, OS 6.0.0.448
* device 9650, OS 6.0.0.524
* device 9330, OS 6.0.0.522

We cannot reproduce the problem (neither on real devices, nor in simulators with that exact OS), but we'd really like to find out what is causing it.

This update is a major rewrite of the app, here is some additional info about the differences:
1. both versions of the app consists of single .cod file
2. new app main class is different
3. new main icon is different, rollover icon has been also added
4. app name (MIDlet-Name) has been changed (app module still has the same name)
5. old version has two Persistent objects which no longer exist, new version contains one (different) Persistent object
6. old version has been compiled with some ancient JDE (4.5 or older), new version is compiled with JDE 5.0

In the past we had published major updates of different apps with differences 1-5 without any problem (including removing Persistent object class from the new module)
The only thing that we probably haven't done is to upgrade app compiled with JDE 4.5 to version compiled with JDE 5.0 (compatibility modes ?)

Any suggestions re what's wrong ?
Developer
StevenKader
My Device: Z10 LE

Re: error 907 upon app update - any ideas ?

If we assume that the COD is good which it must be since they can get it installed if they delete the app, then most likely the issue is the connectivity to the network during the install.  In my experience if there is network issues during install the 907 error would be generated.  It is probably a coinsidence that after the delete the app they were able to install correctly.  Most likely if they just tried again with better connectivity it woud have worked also.   The other issue that I have seen is someone with full bars 3G but not so great wifi.  The install will be started on the wifi but may not complete properly.  Bottom line is to make sure the user has good wifi or turn it off and then make sure they have good 3G before trying to install.

Steven Kader at JaredCo
   Follow me on Twitter    |     Mipixi.com :  Web App for Photo Sharing
Developer
peter_strange

This is the reason:

5. old version has two Persistent objects which no longer exist, new version contains one (different) Persistent object

The OS wants to retain these Objects to allow your App to reuse them, but finds that the new App won't recognize them and so rejects the update.  If you delete it, then the Persistent Objects are removed and the problem is solved. 

Developer
StevenKader
My Device: Z10 LE

Peter,  the upgrade seems to be working most of the time but not always.  Wouldn't it fail everytime if the persistant object was the problem?  I thought that changing/removing persistant objects would cause a reboot but not failure.  

Steven Kader at JaredCo
   Follow me on Twitter    |     Mipixi.com :  Web App for Photo Sharing
Developer
peter_strange

Ah, good point.  Yes, I may have overstepped the mark saying this will cause a problem. Sorry.