Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
misty83
My Device: 8300, 8800, 8700f, 9000

how can i send images faster?

hi!

in my application i'm making screenshots (every second), write it to Bitmap, then create JPGEncodedImage (using encode() method). and this EncodedImage is send to the server. My problem is, that screenshots comes too slow. i think (except internet connection) that this is caused by the fact, that JPGEncodedImages may be too heavy. i set its' quality to 60.

do You have any ideas how can i make sending screenshots faster without loosing quality too much?

kind regards

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

Re: how can i send images faster?

Can you tell use where the bottleneck is?

Sending screenshots at that rate over anything other than WiFi would seem to be me to produce a bottleneck in the transmission, but you seem to suggest it is the encoding you wish to optimise?

Please use plain text.
Developer
misty83
My Device: 8300, 8800, 8700f, 9000

sorry, but what does 'bottleneck' means? i could not find it in the dictonary.. :/
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Time for a new dictionary then - it is in both my Chambers and my Oxford...

Google and Wikipedia are good places to look for definitions too, here is the Wikipedia reference...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottleneck_(engineering)

Hopefully the Wikipedia entry will explain well enough so that you can answer my question.

Please use plain text.
Developer
marchywka

LOL, wiki links are my favorites. A bottleneck usually refers to one process in a series of sequential

processes which consumes the most resources or is the rate limiting step in going from reactants

to products. For example, either the diffusion of reactants to a catalytic surface or the reaction

rate may be the bottleneck depending upon ambient conditions.

This is normally what would obviously be suggested to anyone glancing at a coke bottle.

I've noticed I slip into colloquialisms quite often :smileyhappy:

Both CPU and bandwidth can be rate limiting. Usually sticking with native codecs is a good choice but

then you need to do IO somehow. An earlier poster happened to be able to express image as SVG which

may in fact be a reasonable option in some cases. Model based compression schemes 

( I'm not really sure of taxonomy here as it is similar to transform coding except your basis set is

rather odd things like "circles" or object in SVG rather than sine waves)

can be quite CPU intensive in the general case,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractal_compression

Please use plain text.