Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
krishna85
My Device: developer
My Carrier: developer
Accepted Solution

how to set a component at the bottom of the screen without using setStatus()

I have created a customized horizontalFieldmanager and want to set it at the bottom of the main screen in my application. My customized horizontalFieldManager contains three bitmap fields... please help me to set it at the bottom of the screen without using setstatus method.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rifaye
My Device: blackberry bold
My Carrier: -.-.-.-

Re: how to set a component at the bottom of the screen without using setStatus()

create custom manager, on sublayout use setPositionChild to manage your field position

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange
My Device: Not Specified

Re: how to set a component at the bottom of the screen without using setStatus()

What is wrong with using setStatus().  If you start creating Managers as suggested, you are in fact creating exactly the same thing.  So use the one you get for free (and don't have to write!). 

In addition, I suspect the method suggested won't work as you want, as it will not leave you able to use the space above the Field.  For more on this I recommend this article:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/MainScreen-explained/ta-p/606644

Please use plain text.
Contributor
krishna85

actually i want that if the virtual keyboard comes up, I want it to cover up the bottom of the screen and using setstatus will show the field which is in the setstatus when the virtualkeyboard comes up... can u suggest anything
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Tricky one.  So you want it to always appear at the bottom except when the virtual keyboard appears?

To be honest, I'm not sure that there is a nice way to do this.  Hopefully someone else can helpwith this. 

I'm also not sure that this is a good User Exerience anyway, but that is an aside. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
krishna85

oks.. got it at last ... thanx for helping
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Great, can you mark this as solved then and perhaps indicate the solution?

Instructions for marking a Thread as solved are included in the Hlpe link that you will fnd near the top. 

Please use plain text.