Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
savi
My Device: Not Specified

how to upload application on Blackberry app world?

hi all

can any one tell me , how to release application on BlackBerry app world?

i have created account on BlackBerry app word..now how to submit app and what file i upload there?

pls explain me..  

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: how to upload application on Blackberry app world?

From the vendor portal for BlackBerry App World, under Manage Application, the vendor submits an application.

source:

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/1573156/What_Is_-_Pro...

most info you need is available at http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/appworld/

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
savi

its fine simon..but i want to know that  will i have to submit combination of .cod and .jad file?

i kept .cod and .jad file in rar file ....is it good way?

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
CMY
My Device: 8130 / 8350 / 9530 / 9550 / 9850 / PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

you only submit the cod files. RIM will do the rest. I'm not even sure if they use the jad file at all since it is installed directly through AppWorld on the device.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
roricka

Um -- about that point about not needing to upload the .jad file ...

If you don't upload the .jad, what is all that business about overriding the jad file MIDlet-Name and MIDlet-Vendor when you put an app into App World? The language is REALLY poor on that one. Is that whole override business saying You've given us a name and vendor, but would you like us to use something different in the .jad file we create? If that's true, then some of the 5 examples that are given for this on p. 15 of the Administration Guide (Vendor Portal ver. 2.1, maint. rel. 2) just don't make sense.

For example, the second bullet: "your organization's name changed since you created the product." Well, why should that matter? If they create a .new jad file, and you are free to give them the name you desire, why can't you just make them the same? Why do you have to "override" anything? The term "override" really makes it seem like they're going to take whatever you have NOW in your .jad file, and change it. But if what you are saying is true, and you never give them your current .jad file, how does this make sense?

Similarly, the 3rd bullet: "You have products that have different MIDlet-Vendor values in their .jad files and you want to sell the products using the same vendor name in Blackberry App World" -- now wtf does THAT mean? You have DIFFERENT values in the .jad files, but you want to use the SAME values? Is English these people's first language? You couldn't write a more confusing sentence if you tried. Does it mean you have products (plural) that have different values (i.e., one product has valueA and another product has valueB) or does it mean both products have valueA, but it is different from the .jad file of the one you are now uploading. But why should that matter if, like you say, you aren't even GIVING them the .jad file, but instead RIM is making it up on the fly? Honestly, "YOU WANT  TO SELL THE PRODUCTS USING THE SAME VENDOR NAME IN BLACKBERRY APP WORLD". What could it mean? It must mean product A has valueA in its .jad, and productB has valueB in its .jad, right? So what's the problem? You simply don't do an override, and RIM uses your company name and product name. Why would that be a problem. WHY WOULD YOU HAVE TO USE SOME KIND OF OVERRIDE. Override WHAT??? If you don't give them the .jad, it can ONLY mean override the company name and product name. But why would that relate to the products having different different values in their .jad files?

Finally, if  you don't give them a .jad file, how do they fill in the OTHER fields in the .jad? What about "RIM-COD-Module-Dependencies"? They don't need this? Or can they get it from the .cod file?

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
CMY
My Device: 8130 / 8350 / 9530 / 9550 / 9850 / PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

Once you register for AppWorld, I don't think they allow name changes, which is why you can override it in the jad file. The same goes for the app name as you are not allowed to delete releases, so the only way to change the name is to create a new product or override the name in the jad file. And with the third point, there are alot of companies that hire 3rd party developers to make their applications and the developer may have their name in the vendor value of the cod so you'll want to specify a different one to use in the jad. And yes, all of this information can be pulled from the cod as well as the jad.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
roricka

CMY -- first of all, thank you for responding. So look, not wanting to appear too dense, but just to be sure:

1. (restatement of what I think you are saying): you are saying these overrides are applied BY RIM in the .jad file that THEY CREATE. I.e., you do NOT upload your own .jad file? (true or false)

2. (restatement of what I think you are saying) When RIM makes this .jad file, they know what to put in there for the OTHER fields, like RIM-COD-Module-Dependencies because they can find it in the .cod? (true or false)

3. When they say "override the .jad file" they REALLY mean override the values in the .cod file that you're uploading, which would eventually be placed into a .jad file BY RIM? (true or false)

If that's all true, great. Then I understand. (Please verify!!). But how the heck is a newbie to uploading supposed to understand that, given the way they word their stuff? I must say, in general RIM  has an extremely confusing environment -- it's worse than Unix! And what has it gained them? I mean, there's very little cachet in writing for BB. (But CMY -- please don't forget to write "true" or "false" to my restatements above, OK? Thanks!)

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
SS123

Hey, is there any registration fee or any costs involved if i have to sumbit my app to blackberry app World...now

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

No.  The only requirement is that App World will do a transaction on your Paypal account, just to be sure it can.  I think it withdraws and deposits $1. 

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
SS123

Hi Simon, In my application, i have set a few values in the jad file.

Now these values , keep changing as per the different clients

For example : Server URL.

Now my application at time of installation reads this Jad file values.

However when i upload the application on the  blackberry app world, i am unable to load the jad file.

Because of which the application gets installed from the app world, but does not work, as it could not read the server URL....

Please help ....

Please use plain text.