Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
calgacus
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

is there a way to have a mouse pointer type navigation scheme in my java app?

Hi,

Basic question but I gotta ask it: is there a  way to have  mouse pointer type/style navigation scheme in my java app?  Rather than having the trackpad/ball just tab focus around the screen?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Re: is there a way to have a mouse pointer type navigation scheme in my java app?

It is relatively easy to have a pointer that can move round the screen.  What is more complicated is figuring out where that point is in relation to any Fields you have on the screen, and so which Fields have focus.  Then of course what do you do with this pointer while people are typing?  or if there was a pointer, would users have to click to select the input Field?  Then once you have selected an input Field, does the trackball scroll mean move with-in the Field or that the cursor needs to be moved.  All gets rather complicated. 

Unless someone is prepared to throw loads of money at you to implement this, I'd say the answer is no. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
arkadyz
My Device: various
My Carrier: various

Re: is there a way to have a mouse pointer type navigation scheme in my java app?

To add some more food for thought:

If you try to go this way, there is a temptation to implement it "Windows-style". It means, among other things (in no particular order):

1) tooltips

2) drap-and-drop (not that easy to make it intuitive: what key will you designate as "press-and-hold" counterpart of a mouse button?)

3) active scrollbars (it is possible to implement good-looking scrollbars; it is, however, a very different task to let the user drag them and click inside the "ruler")

Built-in Web browser does that kind of navigation (some of it, at least), so you can try and learn from it if you are so intent on making it happen.

If I were to hazard a time estimate, it would be between 3 weeks (by someone already well-versed in BB UI) and 3 months (a good generic Java programmer, not yet knowing the intricacies of BlackBerry programming, but willing to learn) for the initial, most basic implementation, followed by 2-4 weeks of intense debugging and 3+ months of adding and polishing features.

Good luck!

----------------------------------------------------------
please click 'Accept Solution' on posts that provide the solution to the question you've posted. Don't say "Thanks", press 'Like' button instead!
Please use plain text.
Developer
calgacus

Thanks guys,

I don't need it that bad, was just curious.

Please use plain text.