Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
adem666
My Device: Not Specified

is there any TRUSTABLE way to make a connection over BIS

I cannot trust BIS connection in blackberry. it works fine sometimes, but it doesnt work sometimes.

I looked this link

http://www.localytics.com/blog/2009/how-to-reliably-establish-a-network-connection-on-any-blackberry...

I looked other documents and they are look like same. anyway, I can find BIS service record wtih

cid = toLowerCase(myRecord.getCid());
uid = toLowerCase(myRecord.getUid());
// BIS
if (cid.indexOf("ippp") != -1 && uid.indexOf("gpmds") != -1)

and WAP2 record. then, I try WAP2, BIS and Direct TCP and look device IP from some web pages. and I find all the time OPERATOR's IP. not, rim IP. but, I tried it 4-5 hours before and it gave me rim IP (93.186.31.80). and, now I can see this IP from BlackBerry native browser, but I cannot see it inside application even I use BIS setting for connection.

url parameter=

1. option =>    ;deviceside=true;ConnectionUID=GPDSEU01

2. option =>    ;deviceside=true;ConnectionUID=WAP2 trans

3. option =>    ;deviceside=true

I use url parameter, and I never connect internet with BIS. I think first option may be right. but, it s not.

so, is there any way to make a connection with BIS ?

note: when I use 1. and 3., they give me same IP. but, 2. is different.

and, I tested it different carriers sim card that have BIS service.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Re: is there any TRUSTABLE way to make a connection over BIS

What you call BIS actually seems to be 3 connection methods, BIS-B, WAP and Direct TCP.  Or are you saying that you cannot trust the connection for a BIS phone?  But put that to one side for a moment and read on, 

There are, I think, a number of errors in the article that you have referenced.  For example. it states:

"BlackBerry Enterprise Server using BlackBerry Mobile Data System (MDS) - This is the default which means that if no connection string is appended to the URL this is how the device will connect"

In my experience, the default, when no connection string is added, depends on the branding and OS level of the phone as well as whether it is BES connected or not.

But that said, the overall flavor of the article is pretty much correct.

However, having worked at this for a number of years, unless you require Streaming protocol, then you can get a reliable connection on most devices, using

a) BES for corporate devices

b) BIS-B for consumer devices

and the good thing about both these connections is that they will use WiFi, if it is there to use.

The problem with this, is the BIS-B has only been available to Alliance members only.  Except it was made available if you were using Push.  So that lead to this Thread.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Sample-HTTP-Connection-code-and-BIS-B-Access...

I recommend that you explore this Thread and the possibility of using BIS-B for your non corporate customers. 

Please use plain text.
New Developer
adem666

thank you peter. I will look again the doc.

but, I could use BIS services. to be sure connecting via BIS, I look IP address of device. and I found RIM IP adresses in some trying. is it right  ?

and, in my test, I use two carriers' BIS services and BB 9800.

in first try, even I try to connect internet with WAP2, device connected with BIS servise. (I used ConnectionUID=WAP2 trans) . Then, I changed sim card and tried againg same test. and, result is same. even I use different carrier, RIM servers are same. but, after many of tries with second carrier, I m getting only carrier's IP. I tried all connection option, but I got only operator IP.

it is look like nonsense. because, it seems device remembers other carrier settings. but I m not sure. I will read the docs againg and test it again

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

When you connect using WAP (ConnectionUID=WAP2 trans), you are not connecting to RIM, you are connecting to the carrier's WAP gateway.  That acts as a gateway, and that is where you get your IP address. 

" I could use BIS services. to be sure connecting via BIS, I look IP address of device"

As far as I know, if you are BIS connected, you will struggle to find your IP address.  The device has a tunnel through the wireless network.  It only gets an IP address when it gets the the wireless gateway, whether than be the carriers WAP gateway, the carriers TCP gateway or RIM's BIS-B gateway. 

"even I use different carrier, RIM servers are same"

That makes sense to me - the RIM Servers will have the same IP Address. 

Review the documentation, hopefully things will be come clearer. 

Please use plain text.
New Developer
adem666

[ Edited ]

thank you peter,

I m still looking problem. but, I realize connections differ in different device (maybe it s about OS version)

when I use "ConnectionUID=WAP2 trans" with 9800(OS 6.0), I get RIM IP adress.

and, when I use "ConnectionUID=WAP2 trans" with 9700 (OS 5.0) , I get carrier wap gateway IP adress. is there any new rule that came from OS 6.0 ?

Please use plain text.