Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
someswararao
My Device: Not Specified

is there any database in blackberry mobiles

Hi,

can we install or use any database in blackberry phones...

if it is...? how...?

what are the databases are providing support...?

Thanks in advance.

Developer
RexDoug

Re: is there any database in blackberry mobiles

I think for 90% of apps that are resident on the BB device, the applications use the Persistent Object store. If you *really* need a full SQL database, I understand that Sybase has a version for the BlackBerry (although we have not used it).

-de

Developer
someswararao

Thanks for repply,

i have so much of data which is not possible to store in Persistance store.

so i m looking for a database in BB.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Are you looking to store your data remotely?  There are some third party solutions that provide remote connection to a database from a BlackBerry.  You can have a look in the BlackBerry Solutions Catelog for options.

http://www.blackberrysolutionscatalog.com/

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Retired
bzubert

If the amount of data exceeds the capabilities of the PersistentStore, you might want to consider using JSR 75 and writing the data to an SD card instead (or on board memory in the case of the Bold).  That is, if the data is large enough to exceed PersistentStore, it's likely also large enough that storing to flash memory may not yield the best user experience, given that you will likely consume all of the user's available memory. 

Note that any third party database implemented on BlackBerry will be leveraging one of the persistence mechanisms available:  PersistentStore, RMS, or JSR 75. 

Brian Zubert
Technical Partnership Manager
Research In Motion
Developer
tom_s

As it's a direct question I hope it's OK to say that at Sybase we have just released a relational database for BlackBerry. It's called UltraLiteJ and is part of the SQL Anywhere 11 product. There is a free SQL Anywhere 11 developer edition available at http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1055872. Product documentation is at http://dcx.sybase.com/dcx_home.php - choose version 11 and look for UltraLiteJ. Marketing material is at http://www.sybase.com/blackberry.

UltraLiteJ also includes data synchronization features (change tracking etc) so that applications can sync data with other databases.

Tom Slee

Developer
tom_s

Reading more carefully, I should point out that right now UltraLiteJ supports PersistentStore only on BlackBerry. SD Card support is under investigation.

Tom Slee

Product Manager, SQL Anywhere

Sybase iAnywhere

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

I stumbled upon a software editor that sells some database tools :

http://www.cellica.com/products.html?blackberry

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Developer
serfer2

Thnaks, veery useful   ;-)
Developer
marchywka

Since the database people are here, let me ask a related question of "what efficient methods are provided in [any]

databases for 2D or higher proximity lookup?" That is, if I have a table of locations for a GPS phone app, and want to find the closest

to a given point or those within some radius, what would a query look like and how fast is it?

And, of course, I would ask the OP what he is trying to do with local data that you can't do with hashtables or your own

simple indicies using some of the RIM collections in net.rim.device.api.collection.util ? I haven't tried these but

certainly would consider looking at them. Not sure about persistability of any of these but you could always load and

unload to something Persistable if needed. A java database port won't have any magic but may need to be

more general purpose ( ie resource hungry ) than your needs dictate. Now, if you can get a native db app that

may have benefits.

Thanks.