Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

jar converted to cod -- newer version of my midlet doesn't show up on my Curve

[ Edited ]

I'm having a strange problem. I've developed a J2ME Midlet, and have been converting it to a COD file for installation on my Curve for almost a year. For some reason, when I install the latest version of my program, the icon doesn't appear on the screen. However, I can see it listed in the applications screen (Advanced options -> Applications). What's also strange is that if I try to assign my app to a convenience key, my app doesn't show up in the list.

What could be wrong? Anybody out there ever run across this before. I've tried using different releases of rapc to convert my jar to a cod, but that doesn't help. Something that I did in new version of my program has caused this, but what?

BTW - I'm using Netbeans with WTK 2.5.2

Thank in advance for any help you can offer.

Message Edited by AbuMami on 12-23-2008 01:04 PM
Message Edited by AbuMami on 12-23-2008 01:07 PM
New Developer

Re: jar converted to cod -- newer version of my midlet doesn't show up on my Curve

I'm having the exact same problem on my BlackBerry Storm...

My application is written as a MIDlet, and using rapc, I can create a single COD file I can upload using the usb cable and JavaLoader, and that works fine...  The application shows up in "Downloads". 

However, when I use a .jad file and expand the multiple .cod files to my web server and hit them with my BB browser, the application downloads and installs fine, but doesn't show up anywhere except in the "Advanced Options --> Applications" list...  Therefore I have no way to run the application...

Can someone help us get these programs to be active and "startable" from the main touch screens, either in applications, games, or downloads?

Thanks in advance...

-Garrett

New Developer

Re: jar converted to cod -- newer version of my midlet doesn't show up on my Curve

greinard wrote:

I'm having the exact same problem on my BlackBerry Storm...

Well, at least misery loves company Smiley Happy

I just tried this on a Pearl as well with the same results. The app icon doesn't show up, but the app shows up in the application list. Bizarre!

New Developer

Smiley Very Happy  Yeah...  bummer...

Are you trying to load the application via web download or USB Cable?

New Developer

I'm doing this exclusively with the Desktop Manager via USB cable.

BTW - I did try using the javaloader.exe program that comes with the JDE as well - same results.

The strange thing is that I didn't really add new functionality to my app. I decided that now that I know J2ME programming better than I did a year ago, I would reorganize the code, create base classes, and in general, be a good [object oriented] boy. Pow! All my hard work to clean up my previous mess has now rendered my app useless on the BB.

New Developer

Ah... I see...  Yeah, deadly refactoring... Smiley Happy

I'm actually getting very close on mine now...  I finally got an icon to show up in "Downloads", but it was the default icon instead of my app's desired icon...  Now the icon is there and showing my desired icon png file, but the application won't open "IllegalArgumentException", lol...

I think this link may shed some light on your problem...  Looks like this guy had a versioning issue with the JDE components he was using...

http://www.blackberryforums.com/developer-forum/128653-no-menu-icon-after-installing-application.htm...

New Developer

Ok, I got mine fixed...  It had to do with me building the jad file manually and trying to get an icon to appear...  I'm not sure of the exact problem, but once I configured the icon.png file as an icon resource within eclipse, and filled out the other jad related information in the project properties, then let the IDE build the jar, jad, and cod files, all seemed to work as designed...

I hope you get your problem solved...

Take care....

-Garrett

New Developer

Glad to hear you're getting close. What did you do?

Thanks for the link. Interesting, but not really relevant in my case. I'm not using any JDE stuff for development. I'm developing a vanilla J2ME Midlet and it runs fine on plain old Java devices. It's only when I convert it to a COD file and install it on a BB do I have problems.

New Developer

greinard wrote:

Ok, I got mine fixed...  It had to do with me building the jad file manually and trying to get an icon to appear... 

Hey Garrett - glad to hear you got it working. Seems like as I was writing my previous post you were busy solving the problem. Hmmm, jad... icon... sounds interesting. Guess I know what I'll be doing till I hit the sack - it's 10 PM here in Israel - and I've had quite enough of this nonsense by now.

Thanks again for the info and glad you're all set now.

New Developer

Holy Balls!

Wow Garrett - you're hint about the jad file did it for me. I discovered that I had a space in my app name which apparently is a no-no on a BB. Got rid of the space and the app's icon now appears and I can run the app.

Of course, now I'm getting "verification error 2891 at offset 4bd7". That should keep me tossing a turning at night. *sigh*

Thanks again for your comments - they proved to be useful.