Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
haemishg

launching BlackBerry Messenger

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to launch BlackBerry Messenger programatically?

Cheers,

H

Please use plain text.
Developer
JCarty

Re: launching BlackBerry Messenger

[ Edited ]

It is possible. You need to know the name of the module in order to launch any application. I do not remember the name of BBM.

I believe it is net_rim_bb_qm_peer, net_rim_qm_peer or something of that sort.

Review the ApplicationManager and ApplicationDescriptor APIs in the documentation.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Please use plain text.
New Developer
haemishg

I know you can use ApplicationManager and ApplicationDescriptors to launch some applications, but it does not work for all. It seems that BlackBerry Messenger is an exception, another exception is the Media Application. I suspect that they are expecting some arguments that are not publicly documented. The "proper" way to launch stock applications is the Invoke API but its scope is limited. Searching the forums for ways to launch the Media applications does have some posts but the consensus is that all the methods in the forums do not work after 4.6

Can anyone from RIM actually tell us how to reliably launch the following on all OS version from OS versions 4.5 through to 5.0 and 6.0:

BlackBerry Messenger

Media Music

Media Videos

Media Photos

Application Switcher

Haemish

Please use plain text.
New Developer
haemishg

Is no one at RIM prepared to address this issue?

We are being encouraged to develop "Super Apps" one feature of which is supposed to be "Tight Integration with the Native Apps". However support for such integration is lamentable.

You can cobble something together with javax.microedition.content.Invocation and javax.microedition.content.Registry, but it is fragile and exacerbated by the multi stage nature of launching the Media application.

It seems curious that RIM is the largest and arguably most mature smartphone platform, but at the same time is the last well supported in terms of APIs. We need a "Super Library" that works back to 4.5 that we can ship with applications that fixes the myriad of issues that every developer currently has to try and workaround individually. 

Haemish

Please use plain text.