Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
magfed
My Device: Not Specified

making simulator run faster

Hi everyone.

There is a problem. It is not critical but makes me nervous.

I am using BB JDE 4.6.0. But when I build project (F5) simulator launches very slowly (approx. 2 min).

My OS: Windows Vista Home Basic, hard: AMD Athlon QL-60 (X2 Dual-Core 1.9 Gz), 2 Gb RAM.

Is it normal simulator speed? Could I make it launch faster? How could I do it?

Tanks 

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: making simulator run faster

maybe you can launch it from a ramdisk. or a ssd.
from time to time the clean.bat can help remove remains of old apps.
other than this: you have to cope with it.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer

[ Edited ]

If your running the simulator on the laptop, check that your power management doesn't lower the performance (e.g., select the High Performance power plan). You can also delete some of the useless apps from the simulator, especially the file indexer, which on some simulators slows down one of the startup tiers by 30 seconds or so.

Also, have a look at this useful blog from RIM: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Developer-s-Blog/How-to-Set-up-a-Lightning-Fast-Bl...

Message Edited by klyubin on 06-10-2009 09:46 AM
Please use plain text.
Developer

[ Edited ]
Regarding the startup tiers, here's what I do. Look for the "Startup Time" message in the Debug Output window. It tells you how much time the simulator spent simulating the startup phase. It then goes on break down the startup time by startup tiers (tiers are started sequentially from lowest to highest). So, if you find that some tier is taking too long, you can then scroll up (e.g., find "Starting tier 3") and find what processes are started in which tier and (if you're lucky) why they are slow (e.g., waiting on network I/O, file I/O).
Message Edited by klyubin on 06-10-2009 09:54 AM
Please use plain text.