Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
marchywka
My Device: Not Specified

mobile IP lookup options from fixed ( non-carrier ) originated stuff

Is there a link somewhere on RIM and more general approaches to mobile nslookup or "phone discovery"

from an arbitrary location on the internet? What information can I use to construct a host name

that someone accessible to me could turn into an IP address or otherwise complete a connection?

For example, with SMS I really just need the phone number but there is no general way AFAIK to

turn a phone number into an IP address. So, let's say  I open a server socket on my phone or decide to

listen for push content. How do I address a post or get request from my desktop using wget or

Firefox or even try to send UDP packets from a J2SE app?

Thanks.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Re: mobile IP lookup options from fixed ( non-carrier ) originated stuff

Many carriers make use of non public IP address and network address translation (NAT), therefore there is no public IP address to use.  In this case the connection needs to be made from the BlackBerry.

Alternatively, you can make use of a BlackBerry Enterprise Server to push data to users.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer
marchywka
My Device: Not Specified

Re: mobile IP lookup options from fixed ( non-carrier ) originated stuff

As I understand BES, the user only gets to activate with one "enterprise."

Well, I didn't expect static IP addresses but perhaps something like imsi.carrier.net or a RIM

specific version thereof. As an issue of billing and network control I guess you don't want

arbitrary machines sending packets around the mobiles. With SMTP and SMS you have someone

who has to put the known entity on the carrier network. So, I guess it makes sense from the

carrier side to create things like sms or email addresses that can be constructed from a phone number.

For example, I just sent mysefl an email at phone@vtext.com. There is no reason there couldn't exist

similar ways to address UDP packets.