Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: 9500/9520/9800/9810
My Carrier: TMobile

nagative percentage value in GaugeField [API 4.7.x BUG]

[ Edited ]

Hello,

today I used the gaugefield with a "bit" larger maxValue and my surprisewas to see negative perentage values % at a certain time...

The reason is quite simple - it looks like the API impl is using the following code to calculate the percentage value:

//currentValue is an int
//maxValue is also an int

int perentageValue = (currentValue*100)/maxValue

when you are coming to Integer.MAX_VALUE / 100 the code above will generate negative values - actually I could reprovude the behaviour by using the LABEL_AS_PROGRESS style and calculate and set the label with the algorithm above.

To fix the Problem you have to calculate the current percentage value like this:

int perentageValue = new Double(((double) currentValue*100) / maxValue).intValue()

myGaugeField.setLabel(perentageValue +"%");

that will give you always the correct percentage value even if you reacch Integer.MAX_VALUE value...

I hope this will be fixed in RIM's API...

Matthias

PS: just in case - I am talking about:
net.rim.device.api.ui.component.GaugeField
Message Edited by emac on 03-28-2009 06:30 PM
[FileScout] | [iMazing] | [GPSLogger II] | [Iconify] | [TOMPlayer]
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: nagative percentage value in GaugeField [API 4.7.x BUG]

I haven't been able to reproduce this behaviour.  What BlackBerry Smartphone model and BlackBerry handheld software version are you testing on?  You can find this under Options, About on the BlackBerry Smartphone.  I was testing on a BlackBerry Curve 8900 running version 4.6.1.
Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer

Hi,

I am sorry for the late reply - but I was on a bussines trip.

I am testing with OS 4.7.0.75 - but I could reproduce this also on Bold Sim (4.6.0.92) and also on a 8820 Device Sim (4.5.0.55)...The default Percentage Display inside the Progress Bar becomes Negative(in the sample code below at 24% - so it's 0%... up to 24%, go to -24% go to 0, to to 24% again... 

Please find attached the code of my simple quick & dirty sample Application

import net.rim.device.api.system.ApplicationDescriptor; import net.rim.device.api.system.ApplicationManager; import net.rim.device.api.ui.UiApplication; import net.rim.device.api.ui.component.GaugeField; import net.rim.device.api.ui.component.LabelField; import net.rim.device.api.ui.component.SeparatorField; import net.rim.device.api.ui.container.MainScreen; public class BBGauge extends UiApplication { public static void main(String[] args) { new BBGauge().enterEventDispatcher(); } private BBGauge() { BBGaugeScreen screen = new BBGaugeScreen(); pushScreen(screen); } private class BBGaugeScreen extends MainScreen { private GaugeField pBar01; private GaugeField pBar02; private GaugeField pBar03; private GaugeField pBar04; public BBGaugeScreen(){ String _osversion = ""; ApplicationDescriptor[] ad = ApplicationManager. getApplicationManager().getVisibleApplications(); for (int i = 0; i < ad.length; i++) { if (ad[i].getModuleName().trim().equalsIgnoreCase( "net_rim_bb_ribbon_app")) { _osversion = ad[i].getVersion(); break; } } setTitle(_osversion); // specify at which percentage value the negative values will appear // in the default progress display (value have to be smaller then // 100... final int WHEN_NEG_SHOULD_APPEAR = 25; add(new LabelField("Broken (none % value at all):")); add(pBar01 = new GaugeField()); pBar01.reset("", 1, Integer.MAX_VALUE, 1); add(new SeparatorField()); add(new LabelField("Broken (negative percentage):")); add(pBar02 = new GaugeField()); pBar02.reset("", 1, Integer.MAX_VALUE/WHEN_NEG_SHOULD_APPEAR, 1); add(new SeparatorField()); // JUST as comparison two Gauges with own percentage // calculation (LABEL_AS_PROGRESS) add(new LabelField("Working (with own % calc):")); add(pBar03 = new GaugeField("", 1, Integer.MAX_VALUE, 1, GaugeField.LABEL_AS_PROGRESS)); pBar03.reset("", 1, Integer.MAX_VALUE, 1); add(new SeparatorField()); add(new LabelField("Broken (with default|wrong % calc):")); add(pBar04 = new GaugeField("", 1, Integer.MAX_VALUE/50, 1, GaugeField.LABEL_AS_PROGRESS)); pBar04.reset("", 1, Integer.MAX_VALUE/WHEN_NEG_SHOULD_APPEAR, 1); Thread worker = new Thread(){ public void run(){ for (int i=250000; i<Integer.MAX_VALUE; i=i+250000){ if(i<0 || i>Integer.MAX_VALUE){ i = Integer.MAX_VALUE; } int j = (int)i/WHEN_NEG_SHOULD_APPEAR; pBar01.setValue(i); pBar02.setValue(j); int p = new Double(((double)i*100)/pBar03.getValueMax()).intValue(); pBar03.setLabel(p+"%"); pBar03.setValue(i); // this 'j*100' will generate a overflow in the INT // and that is causing the negative % value pBar04.setLabel(((j*100)/pBar04.getValueMax())+"%"); pBar04.setValue(j); } } }; worker.start(); } } }

IMHO it's so obvious, that the calc of the default percentage value have a overflow problem - but of course I could be wrong.

Kind Regards

Matthias

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

The following piece of code is giving negative value.

((j*100)/pBar04.getValueMax())

Use Search. "Accept Solution" If the problem is resolved.
Developer

additional explainations

[ Edited ]

Just some additional explaiantions about the sample App...

bar01:

A default GaugeField where the Max value is just set to Integer.MAX_VALUE - for some reason this bar have the effect, that the percentage value is not increasing at all - it always be 0% [except in the moment when setValue(Integer.MAX_VALUE) will be called - then it's jumping to 100%]

bar02:

also a default GaugeField, here the MaxValue is set to Integer.MAX_VALUE/25 (actuall I put the "25" into a constant to make it easy for you to play arround a bit with the bars - the value in "WHEN_NEG_SHOULD_APPEAR" will specify the momentin which the percentage value will turn negative

bar03:

"My" only correct working  Progress bar - here the LABEL_AS_PROGRESS will be used and the percentage value will be calculated as a double

bar04:

only for camparsing reasons - here I use also the LABEL_AS_PROGRESS but calculate the perentage value in a way how I personally assume it's done by the default GaugeField implementation internaly (unfortunatly there are no Sources available to check this myself)...

In the worker Thread:

for (int i=250000; i<Integer.MAX_VALUE; i=i+250000){

just to speed up the progressbar "a bit" I used not i++ in the for

cause of this I could get larger then Integer.MAX_VALUE - that's why the following code is there:

if(i<0 || i>Integer.MAX_VALUE){
i = Integer.MAX_VALUE;
}

Then for the ProgressBars that have set the MAX_VALUE to quotient of Integer.MAX_VALUE we have to adjust also the value of I [deviding I with the same value as we have devided the Integer.MAX_VALUE (in my current example this is 25 or better the value of WHEN_NEG_SHOULD_APPEAR)]

Then we set the Progress for bar01 (causing always percentage value"0%" ) and the Progress of bar02 - will cause -24 % at the moment we reach 25%... 

the code is followed by the calculations of the lables for bar03 (IMHO correct implementation) and the bar04 - where you see, tha:

((j*100)/pBar04.getValueMax())+"%"

j*100 will cause the integer to "overflow" - and with that the percentage value becomes negative.

Message Edited by emac on 04-09-2009 01:23 PM
Developer

[ Edited ]

Yes BBDeveloper - of course this line cause the overflow.

The "bug" I am try to reporting is, that the default GaugeField (like bar02) (when you do not use LABEL_AS_PROGRESS) will have exactly the same overflow problem as I would like to demonstrate with bar04.

Message Edited by emac on 04-09-2009 01:18 PM
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Well even I did observer the same results. Lets wait for some response from other experts and RIM people.

Use Search. "Accept Solution" If the problem is resolved.
Developer

indeed it would had been really nice, to get feedback from a RIM-Developer after the sample code (with which the problem can instantly reproduced) was provided...
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Thank you for posting the sample code.  I have been able to reproduce this and have sent this issue to our development team.
Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer

Thanks for your feedback - I am looking forward to the response of the development team