Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

net.rim.device.api.i18n.MissingResourceException

Does anyone know why an app that was working fine for weeks on a Torch (6.0.0.246) would suddenly start throwing missing resource exceptions?

A user has just reported this problem with one of our apps. The app starts up cleanly, but nothing works beyond that--not even menus. The user is reporting no problems with any other applications. We have asked him to uninstall the app, delete all app-specific files, restart the device, and install it again. The behavior is unchanged. He also says that he hasn't installed any other software since the app was last working (a couple of days ago). Here's the start of one of the event log entries for a typical crash:

Name: MissingResourceException
GUID: 9c3cd62e3320b498
Time: Dec 23, 2010 19:35:25
No detail message
net_rim_cldc-6(4C94D16C)
ResourceBundle
getObject
0xA56F
net_rim_cldc-6(4C94D16C)
ResourceBundle
getString
0xA5A6
(...application code)

We are pretty well stumped at this point. We're going to ask the user to do a battery pull. Beyond that, anything more drastic (such as removing other applications or re-installing the OS) seems like shooting in the dark, at considerable pain to our user.

A few months ago, we had a vaguely similar problem when testing on a simulator. It seemed to be triggered by installing our app OTA over an existing installation. But in that case, the app never worked to begin with (after the re-install). We've never seen a case where it was working and then suddenly was not working.

Any ideas on what might be happening, or what else we can ask the user to do to help diagnose this?

Solved? click "Accept as solution". Helpful? give kudos by clicking on the star.
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: net.rim.device.api.i18n.MissingResourceException

Update: after several fruitless experiments, we did finally manage to get the app working for this user. What did the trick was installing the app through the Desktop Manager instead of over the air through the browser.

Although the crisis has receded, this is still a serious problem. Who knows when the next user is going to report a problem, or whether this "solution" will work again. We still have no idea what went wrong or why the install method would make any difference.

Is there something brittle about OTA the install process that is avoided with Desktop Manager? Why would the app fail in this weird manner in the first place (after working for weeks)? Has anyone else here seen a similar problem?

Solved? click "Accept as solution". Helpful? give kudos by clicking on the star.
Developer
My Device: Apple iPhone 3GS 16GB

Re: net.rim.device.api.i18n.MissingResourceException

I am experiencing the same problem. The app just throws these exceptions for no reason. Its hard to replicate the bug as well ,It just throws very randomly and when it happens all the resource strings fail.  I am experiencing this in my simulator but i am aware of some users who are experiencing this. 

The api doc says "MissingResourceException - If neither this bundle (nor any enclosing parent bundle) contains the resource associated with provided key."

But the app clearly has the associated resources.

Any one?