If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
sonicboomboy
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: some

new Facebook BlackBerry SDK 0.3.1 is out.

Just took out from another thread. Let's discuss it here.

dalim wrote:

Hi guys,
Please check out the latest version of the SDK (0.3.1):
(Note: this version supports OS 5.0 or above only)

Got resolved! Press kudo icon!
Please use plain text.
Developer
diegotori
My Device: Not Specified

Re: new Facebook BlackBerry SDK 0.3.1 is out.

I hate to say it RIM, but it's not cool at all that you're excluding < 5.0.0 (you really had to use BrowserField2, did you), since our app builds on 4.5.0, you're leaving out most of the install base right there. Is there any way you can merge the critical redirect fixes made in 0.3.1 back into 0.2.0 to maintain legacy compatibility with BF1?

Please use plain text.
Developer
sonicboomboy

So, I checked out the sdk. Tried to register via OAuth 2.0 protocol and it did work fine.

We are implementing FB connection in our app now, so this new SDK is really a big present)))

thanks, guys!

the previous one  (v 0.2) used old authorization way and was a kind of glitch.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
swamych

blackberry sdk 0.3.1 getting classcast exception please help

uncaught exception java.lang.ClassCastException

and the debuuging stops at

fbc = (FacebookContext) store.getContents(); in strawberry.java

please any one solve it as soon as possible

i did not get what is store and persist.

i have downloaded the file from sourceforge and i did not modified any thing in the folder.

Please use plain text.
Developer
sonicboomboy

I've run the test app called 'Strawberry' and it works just fine for  me. What i suggest is to clean simulator and ensure you do not have any other strawberry app from the previous sdk if any.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
swamych

thanks sonicboomboy for your suggestion its working now.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
dalim

There are a couple of reasons why we are not supporting pre-5.0 devices in this release.

First of all, the BrowserContent which is used in pre-5.0 devices are not able to handle cookies correctly.  It also has redirection problem for the oauth 2.0 login mechanism.  In addition, some CSS are not rendered properly too, so the pages look extremely ugly.

Most importantly, we think that this is a good time for us to move forward and fade out the support of pre-5.0 devices, because according to app world download figures (Nov-2010), 75% of all downloads are from devices with 5.0 or above.

Best Regards,
David Lim(林玮)

BlackBerry App World:
http://www.blackberry.com/appworld

BlackBerry Developer Zone:
http://www.blackberry.com/developers
Please use plain text.
Developer
pwerry
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone

Thanks David.

For all those developing for 6.0, I would recommend adding the following line to the BrowserScreen constructor: 

bfc.setProperty(BrowserFieldConfig.NAVIGATION_MODE, BrowserFieldConfig.NAVIGATION_MODE_POINTER);

This is because the 6.0 BrowserField does not seem to render a pointer by default, and a pointer will be necessary to interact with some of the web components such as the login button. 

I have also found that the new 6.0 webkit browser does not seem to respect the extent of the screen that contains it. The BrowserField uses the display width as its extent rather than the screen width. Display width and screen width are not the same if you try to render the BrowserField within a PopupScreen. I tried setting the viewport width via the VIEWPORT_WIDTH property and it had no effect. 

Also, every talladega sim I've been able to get my hands on has serious issues with the BrowserField. There's something very odd going on with this component that prevents the login process from working at all (login page never loads). I'll post here when I figure out the cause.

David perhaps you could comment on these issues?

Please use plain text.
Developer
sonicboomboy

nice job, pwerry!

Please use plain text.
Developer
diegotori

David:
I do understand where you're coming from on the limitations of BF1. I know I would be frustrated at the fact that it's completely outdated to the point that can't even keep up with oauth at all. 

What I am having a hard time coping with is that devs who were the early adopters of the SDK are now faced with the harsh reality of a) buliding on 5.0.0 to re-utilize this feature, and ditching their < 5.0.0 userbase in the process, or b) having to find a suitable alternative to restore that broken functionality.

I know for a fact that my bosses, and their client who we built an app for which uses the Facebook SDK, are not going to be thrilled when I tell them that we now have to build on 5.0.0 instead of 4.5.0 just to get that feature working again. Even though you stated that 75% of app world downloads are from 5.0.0 devices, that still leaves a considerable amount of non-5.0.0 devices in the dust (almost 25% to be exact). More importantly, if you look at devices visiting app world, which is a good indication of the number of live devices out there, you would see that only 46% of them are 5.0.0, while a whopping 47% are blackberry OS versions 4.5.0 to 4.7.1. Although our client's app does not go through app world, we use the app world numbers to determine the OS version to target.

Honestly, I do not know of any other alternatives to pursue, other than to scrap Facebook support in our app.
Please use plain text.