Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
jeffrey_ese
My Device: 9520

Re: process myapp(288) queue too large(31); user input event(s) dropped

Hi Maadani, the reason I find this frustrating, is because of the debugging ability of the BB tools. When The error occurs, it just freezes. Now, like I did say earlier, on the simulator, you really have to click on different buttons and menus at a haphazard rate for about 40secs to generate the same error. But on the device, a single or maximum one click on the menu freezes the app. No trace, no warning, NOTHING. The error occurs mainly when I try to use the LWUIT menu on the storm

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jeffrey_ese

I thought it had to do with the fact that LWUIT blocks the EDT so I recoded the menu not to block and wait... still no way thru

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jeffrey_ese

Simon, is there a way of getting a stack trace or some way of knowing where the overflow occurs. As it is, The app just freezes. no clue nothing. Even the debugger is just as perplexed as me. wandering what happened

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport

you can check the eventlog of the device, press alt+lglg on the home screen or retrieve it with javaloader.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Contributor
demaniak
My Device: Various

[ Edited ]

Sorry for the "me-too" post...

BUT maybe some more info can help.

Getting the same problem, no LWUIT, nothing fancy, just purely native BB UI code.

I do have one custom Field subclass, since that was the only way to get what I needed,with a side-dish of performance.

Now, just before I dig into some more debugging: some thoughts:

1. there MIGHT be an uncaught exception some where - this has tripped me up NUMEROUS times in the past, and the absence of STACKTRACES (ARE YOU LISTENING RIM? ARE YOU???), makes this one a PITA.
  2. as some others suggested - have a critical look at ANY and ALL code that might be updating the screen in any way - this has bitten me in the arse a few times in the past (combine this with a possible uncaught exception (WITH NO STACKTRACES - HINT HINT RIM) in that code, and you have a poisounous little pill)

Any case, IF I get my problem solved, I vow solemnly I will post my solution here - it MIGHT be applicable, Unlike the parrot (don't worry about the parrot - it's not applicable)

Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain

you get stacktraces if you catch Throwable instead of Exception.
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Contributor
demaniak

Hm - no, you catch the exception - if you try to, for example "printStackTrace()" on that exception, you get "no stactrace available" printed to the console.
If there is maybe some simulator/device hidden setting I've missed, PLEASE tell me about it!
Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain

stacktraces are omitted when you catch exceptions. if you catch Throwable instead you get stacktraces.
see the javadoc RIM Implementation Note on
http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/7.1.0api/java/lang/Throwable.html
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Contributor
demaniak

Interresting - that does look like the OS7 API, if I'm not mistaken.
Maybe things have changed - I have resorted to catching Throwable in the past, for different reasons, but have never been able to get a stack trace. But thanks for the tip!

Now back to the issue at hand - the hanging process....
Please use plain text.
Developer
maadani
My Device: 9700

I suggest to start with the simple things...

Since it's a UI issue, start with the obvious methods taken on the UI thread (layout, sublayout, etc') and search from there the objects you create and the method that you are calling.

Since you have one field, I would start with creating a new application with one screen and only your field.

This will let you see if the problem is with your field or not.

Note: the fact that the test application will not crash does not mean that your field is working fine. You should check with the profiler that your code is indeed working correctly.

Hope that helps,

E.

Please use plain text.