If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Regular Contributor
SS123
My Device: Not Specified

programatically understand if video is of unsupported format

Hi,

On clicking a button ,I have a video  to be played in the browser, this video is to be streamed from the server.

As the blackberry browseer 5.0 has the capability to stream the video, i'm opening the browser seesion and directly giving the video url to the browser.

Now the problem is if the video is of unsupprted format i dont want to initiate this process , in short i dont want the  button to be displayed.

If the video is supported on the device, then only i should display this button.

Is there a way to programatically understand if the video is suppported or not.

Please help me.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ilovevegans
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: programatically understand if video is of unsupported format

I had the same problem today. I had just indtalled a (free)xmas theme that seemed to gum-up my video camera. I tried many things like repairing the memory card(if you do this,make sure you choose YES to save lost or recovered fragment(it's in the options menu under MEMORY)I also disabled the memory compression(or storage compression;I don't go in that menu very often). But I think what made go from displaying the Unsupported Format message was,that I deleted the theme and used a picture that I took as wallpaper. I don't know what your siruation is,but if yyou're using a theme,get rid of it and see what happens. I was just bored today and seeing what I could find in BB app world and I messed up,and,I think,fixed my video camera.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ilovevegans

Actually the reason I was in bb app world was the fact that my video camera playback was acting up;there was no app for it. Whatever you do,if yoy remove the theme,that might be caussiing the problem.As soon as I got rid of the theme I installed today,I stopped getting the unsupported format message,which I never got till today after put it in,but if you repair your card card,Save your lost clusters. And wait till it is done.if you turn it off or anything,you'll lose all pictures,voice notes and videos.the same thing happens if you reformat your card.You might do well to call your BB carrier,too. Whoever your service provider is. Just be aware,there are risks if you go into the Memory choice in your Options menu. But,in my Curve 8900,I have to believe mu theme did it beccause I never saw the unsupported format message and also never had a theme installed. And the U F message left after I deleted the theme. I hope somehow you can fix your problem. I found your problem because I put the same problem in a search on google. I'm a little more risky with mine because my contract is up this summer and I'm getting a new bB anyway,I think.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ilovevegans

To be very through,it's the options menu with the wrench icon. The main BB options,the device Options. Not any old options menu. I think I'm done now. This describes the situation in my case and yours may be somewhat similar. Try archiving or uninstalling your theme if you have one. I know the theme caused the unsuppor(ed format message to come up for me for sure.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ilovevegans

Depending on your BlackBerry® device model and your wireless service provider, mass storage mode or MTP might not be supported.

On the Home screen or in a folder, click the Options icon.

Click Memory.

Perform one of the following actions:

To use mass storage mode to transfer files between your BlackBerry device and your computer, set the Mass Storage Mode Support field to On. If necessary, change the Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected field.

To use MTP to transfer media files between your device and your computer, set the Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) field to On. If necessary, change the Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected field.

To receive a prompt to select mass storage mode or MTP when you connect your device to your computer, set the Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected field to Prompt.

Press the Menu key.

Click Save.

Related information

Memory and media cards

Transferring and downloading media files<that is all copy/paste from the Help or ? Section in the Memory subject in the device options. If nothing else you might understand a little more and eventually figiure out the problem. I'm still thinking the theme could be causing the problem. Bou only because I know a theme caused the unsupported format message to shop up on my Curve. Good luck.>
Please use plain text.