Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
malcolm
My Device: Not Specified

"Bad Tunnel ID" message in java.io.IOException

I've encountered IOExceptions with this message when attempting to flush down an outputstream. I have a reasonably highly stacked set of abstractions in terms of many different OutputStreams chained together (to do compression, framing etc) but I'm guessing this message has been triggered by the lowest level. I googled for "Bad tunnel ID" and there are only two matches, neither of them BlackBerry related. I'm sure I've seen this kind of message before at various times, but usually in terms of trying to make a connection on a device where the TCP settings aren't right, or the url for Connector.open() was wrong. In this case however this was in the middle of an established and working connection which had succesfully sent a bunch of data over the mobile network (EDGE, if that makes a difference). This was on an 8800 with 4.5.0.55 for what it's worth.

Is this kind of message caused by the OTA connection dropping? If so I guess I don't need to worry about it.. it doesn't particularly cause major problems, I'm able to establish new connections afterwards, but it would be nice to know why this is happening and if there is anything I can do about it, as the fairly generic message (and lack of stack trace contained in the exception) could mean any number of things.

Thankyou in advance!

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Re: "Bad Tunnel ID" message in java.io.IOException

Does this occur on multiple BlackBerry handhelds or just this one?  Are you able to reproduce this exception on demand?  If so, can you provide a code snippet that triggers it?  Can you provide an example of a URL you are using in the Connector.open method?
Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer
malcolm
My Device: Not Specified

I've only had this happen on the 8800 so far, and only specifically noticed it once. I can't reproduce on demand I'm afraid. If this is of interest though I can keep an eye out for it during further development, but like I say it's a fairly transient thing, I just happened to have the debugger connected at one point and notice it.

URLs I'm using are of the form "http://<HOST>.realvnc.com:<PORT>;deviceside=true" which is connecting to a listening RealVNC viewer on my desktop machine. I presume the deviceside=true is making it use the TCP settings in the advanced settings menu; these are set to the standard ones for O2 UK that I got off this page:  http://www.filesaveas.com/gprs.html

Sorry I can't be of more help. I'll try to get some more details if I see it again, but no promises unfortunately. Thanks for your quick response, as ever.

MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Thanks, let us know if it happens again.

And to verify your assumption, deviceside=true does make use of the settings under Options, (Advanced Options), TCP.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker