Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
nurikabe
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

"Use PC filesystem for SD Card files" checkbox missing from the Verizon 8830 Simulator

[ Edited ]

This seems like an unusual omission.  Is there any reason for this?

Message Edited by nurikabe on 10-06-2008 01:10 PM
Please use plain text.
Developer
KarlH
My Device: Curve 8330

Re: "Use PC filesystem for SD Card files" checkbox missing from the Verizon 8830 Simulator

It would be great if the 8330 simulator had that too.  The Mass Storage Mode isn't implemented on the simulators.  The Desktop Manager only lets you communicate with the onboard storage on the 8330 simulator, and only with the SDCard on a real device.
Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: "Use PC filesystem for SD Card files" checkbox missing from the Verizon 8830 Simulator

Are you using the BlackBerry JDE or BlackBerry JDE Plug-in for Eclipse?  What version of the tool are you using?
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
New Developer
nurikabe

[ Edited ]

Aha.  I just realized:

On one machine, it is JDE 4.5 with the built-in simulators.  This includes the option "Use PC filesystem for SD Card files".

On another machine it is JDE 4.6 which only comes with the BB 9000 simulator.  On that machine the 8830 Verizon-specific simulator was installed seperately.  It does not include the above option.

I am not using the Eclipse plugin.

Message Edited by nurikabe on 10-07-2008 03:08 PM
Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

The BlackBerry Simulators should integrated them into a matching BlackBerry JDE release.  Therefore if you had the version 4.5.0 BlackBerry JDE installed before installing the BlackBerry 8830 Simulator, it should have populated an entry in the version 4.5.0 BlackBerry JDE.

It should not add an entry to BlackBerry JDE installations with a different version.

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
gtj

You sure Mark?

I just loaded the Verizon 8830 4.2.2.66 simulator and it installed in JDE 4.5.0 and 4.6.0 but not in 4.2.1 or 4.3.0.  In both 4.5.0 anmd 4.6.0, the option to use a PC directory as the SDCard  is missing just as the OP states.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

This feature was added to the version 4.3.0 BlackBerry Simulator.  So it is correct that this feature is not shown for version 4.2.x.
Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
Developer
KarlH

I downloaded the 4.3.0.1r Blackberry JDE and it had no 8330 simulator, so I downloaded the 4.3.0.124 (8330) simulator separately.  I don't see any checkbox for "Use PC filesystem for SD Card files" but after consulting the help associated with the simulator I was able to change the 8330.bat file to include the following additional options and get a PC-based SDCard filesystem:

/sdcard-inserted /fs-sdcard /no-clear-sdcard /sdcard-size=2147483648

The defaults in the help file are contradictory, so just specifying  "/fs-sdcard" wasn't enough.  After secifying all the options above, it worked.  Woo Hoo!  Now I am able to load the SDCard and look at files created by my application.

Where is the checkbox supposed to be?

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

You should see the checkbox by selecting the Edit menu of the BlackBerry JDE, choosing preferences, clicking on the Simulator tab, selecting the "8330-4.3.0.124" entry and then clicking on the Memory tab.
Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
Developer
KarlH

Cool.  It is there with my version of the simulator.  Thanks.
Please use plain text.