Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
AbuMami
My Device: Not Specified

root canal more fun than BB development

[ Edited ]

OK, so maybe I'm exaggerating a little - just a little - but it sure would be nice to be able to develop under Netbeans. I succeeded once setting up Netbeans 6.0.1, but I can't get 6.1 set up properly.

The Blackberry is an awesome platform, and I've been able to get some decent development done, but I wouldn't touch the JDE with a 10 foot pole - it's, well how can I say this nicely? - it's just plain butt ugly, and not at all pleasant to use.

Please, please, help out here. Did I say please? Being able to add each new BB API, as it's released, to Netbeans would go along way towards helping out the developer community, and it certainly wouldn't hurt RIM's chances of staying in the race with the iPhone, Android, and whatever else is coming out next.

Thanks.

Message Edited by AbuMami on 11-06-2008 08:20 AM
Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: root canal more fun than BB development

while i know that this might get me killed by the fiathful netbeans followers: you can also use eclipse. the 2nd beta of the plugin is not that bad.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
New Developer
AbuMami

simon_hain wrote:
while i know that this might get me killed by the fiathful netbeans followers: you can also use eclipse. the 2nd beta of the plugin is not that bad.

The problem is that we decided on Netbeans, and I really don't want to have to deal with multiple development platforms. My brain can only take so much.

I used Eclipse quite extensively a year ago, but have used Netbeans since. They both have their strong points (and weak points), but Netbeans won out after a fairly extensive evaluation.

Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

We also use netbeans for development server-side. There was a session scheduled for the recent Devcon on using Netbeans for BB development, but it was cancelled at the last minute.

Although I have not tried it yet, I understand that you can use Netbeans by installing the Sun 'J2ME Mobility SDK' and also the BB component package. It's on my "rainy day" list.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
AbuMami

RexDoug wrote:

We also use netbeans for development server-side. There was a session scheduled for the recent Devcon on using Netbeans for BB development, but it was cancelled at the last minute.

Hmm, too bad. Most developers feel much more comfortable using either Netbeans or Eclipse. It's unreasonable to expect developers to have to deal with another, much inferior, IDE. IMHO, if BB development was well integrated into both Netbeans and Eclipse, it would blow the doors off.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter_strange

Eclipse plug-in is there - there was quite a push for it at the conference.

See:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/javaappdev/javaeclipseplug.jsp

Please use plain text.
New Developer
AbuMami

peter_strange wrote:

Eclipse plug-in is there - there was quite a push for it at the conference.

See:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/javaappdev/javaeclipseplug.jsp

Now how about a push for Netbeans plugin?

Please use plain text.
Developer
myraddin
My Device: 9000 9810

Well, I use netbeans the whole time.

The 'only' :smileywink: thing missing is the debugging.

Netbeans (vs. JDE) showed great advantages. Code completion - or Intellisense (as one example) is by far more useful on Netbeans thenin JDE.

I use JDE only when building with debugging. (sources are in the netbeans project dir).

"Listen carefully, I shall say this only once"
Please use plain text.
Developer
kemdada

myraddin wrote:

Netbeans (vs. JDE) showed great advantages. Code completion - or Intellisense (as one example) is by far more useful on Netbeans thenin JDE.

I totally agree

Please use plain text.