Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

sell mobile java app for blackberry

Quote from the previous forums:

stephenhuey

sell mobile java app for blackberry
Posted: Jul 16, 2008 2:12 AM

How would you securely sell a mobile Java app written for the Blackberry? I mean, is there a way to tie the app to that one customer so they don't give it to their friends for free? Do people usually use some kind of online vendor? I tried Googling around, but haven't found anything very clear so far.

You could tie an application to a specific BlackBerry PIN, or create a registration code based the PIN.  Each BlackBerry has its own unique PIN.

There are other commercial products out there, but I have not used any myself. 

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: sell mobile java app for blackberry

We provide this service for many of our customers. 

One of the best ways to do this is by phone number.  I strongly suggest avoiding the device pin as users may change devices often, and if the server finds the license by phone number, you can make sure they are utilizing the same license very easily.

There is no online vendor that I've seen that offers this as a service outright, even though we do provide this for our customers.  

Kevin Ross | President | Metova
www.metova.com
Developer

I know that there are people watching this who are much better qualified than me to add to Mark's comments, I've never bought a commercial BlackBerry product!  But here are a few of my thoughts, as they apply to a standalone BlackBerry application (like a game).  If you have some server component, then the requirements are significantly easier as you can offload most of the checking to the server.

a) You need to uniquely determine the 'user'

As Mark suggests the PIN is unique and easy to get at.  My experience suggests that the email address is a better, especially in a corporate (BES) environment, because then when they swap devices, the application 'license' can move with them.  I'm sure there are KB articles that tell you how to get the email address(es) for a device

b) You need to supply a license to the user

And of course you need to be able to input this license into the product.  There are any number of ways to do this, including sending the user an email (which ties in if you are using the email as the user identification), or connecting to a Server from within the product to obtain registration details.

c) You need to store these details on the device

The BlackBerry doesn't have a Windows Registry so you need to persist this information in some other way.  You need to think about what happens when the product is deleted off the device (does the license go?)

d) Are you going to offer a 'trial'?

This has all sorts of implications - what if someone installs the trail, then once the trail period is up, deletes it and installs again?

e) You need to think about how you are going to sell your product

The only site I am familiar with is handango (http://www.handango.com), I am sure it has certain requirements for the products it lists.

Hope this helps

New Developer

I, for the most part, concur with Peter...with some suggestions to consider.

1.  Phone number.  A user can leave an organization (and their email address if it is an enterprise), but most users will port their phone number.

2.  Trial.  This can be part of the license, and the same license can be upgraded to full without a re-install.

3.  Automation.  DO NOT make a user enter a license key (just my position).  If you have a large level 0 customer support desk, no problem.  Otherwise, give the user something simple like a menu item to "Update License" in the appropriate situation that interrogates the server and updates the trial to a full license.   This is easy for the customer, but it is WAY easier for your organization to support and insure a smooth user experience.

Kevin Ross | President | Metova
www.metova.com