Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
bearc0025
My Device: Not Specified

signature tool error: Unable to create a temorary directory necessary for this application

The directory name is always different and appears to be random (e.g., SDISYZwS).

The error message pop-up comes up just seconds after selecting  "Request signatures..." from the Build menu.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: signature tool error: Unable to create a temporary directory necessary for this application

At this stage the SignatureTool is trying to create a temporary directory within your project directory.  In this case it probably doesn't have permissions to do so.  Have a look at the permissions for your project folder.
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
New Developer
NevinM

Re: signature tool error: Unable to create a temorary directory necessary for this application

I am getting the exact same error.  I was just wondering if you were able to get around the error and how.  I am using Vista and SP2 and I am wondering how the permissions would have changed since the last time I requested signatures, but some how they seem to have.   I tried adjusting the folder properties and I am logged in as an administrator, but it gets this error everytime.  If it is a permissions issue can you be specific about how you fixed it?

Thanks in advance,

Nevin Morrison

Please use plain text.
Developer
SergGr

Re: signature tool error: Unable to create a temorary directory necessary for this application

[ Edited ]

Do you run SignatureTool and the same user you use for your work? Can you manually create new folder under you project folder? AFAIU SignatureTool tries to create temp folder under folder with cod-files, so this is the folder to test. For example, with my auto-build process it is C:\Projects\SomeProjectName\bin\Rim42.

P.S. On Windows Administrator is not the user that has all possible rights. There might be some permissions that Administrator hasn't. It is the user that can grant himself any permission even if he doesn't have it.

Message Edited by SergGr on 05-14-2009 06:11 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If your issue is solved, set "Solution" mark at the relevant post.
Don't hesitate to Kudos people whose posts helped you.
Please use plain text.
Developer
jcnielsen
My Device: Dev Alpha B
My Carrier: None atm.

Today I needed to install signature keys on my new laptop and I get the same problem. I have JDE 4.5 (a full install package) with 4.7 Eclipse component package on top. I couldn't install the key using the dubbel-click method (got some kind of exception message), but manged to install via Elipse 'Install.....'. I then tried to 'Request Signatures' but got the same problem as you bearc0025. At the time I was uing 4.7 Eclipse comnent package, I then discovered, that if I set Eclipse to use 4.5 package the Signature window actually is shown but in the status field to the right of the file name it says 'Not registered' on the RRT and RBB keys with the message 'Please contact the signer and register with the Signing Authority.'

The signature keys are signed, I got three confimation mails.

What to do?

Br
J. C. Nielsen

Attended DEVCON 2010

Free Tibet
Please use plain text.
Developer
RexDoug

Vista typically restricts write access to the Program Files directory - I suspect this is the root of your issues.

You can install the package elsewhere, or make sure that your JDE starts with "admin" authority.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jcnielsen

Thanks for the input. What I have done so far is to start Eclipse with admin rights, however the result of this was that I all of a sudden couldn't see the 4.7 Coponent Package anymore, I will try to install that now. There is some kind of broken admin rights in all this as mentioned before.

I found the sigtool.csk and the db file and copied that to the 4.5 Component Package install folder, I can now sign applications that use 4.5.

Br
J. C. Nielsen

Attended DEVCON 2010

Free Tibet
Please use plain text.
Developer
jcnielsen

I installed Component Package 4.7 again using the Eclipse software update feature. I configured my workspace to use that package 4.7, rebuild the software and now I can finally sign my software. So I can recommend:

a) Make sure Eclipse starts with admin rights.

b) Install any missing Component Packages.

c) Configure your workspace to use the right component package.

d) Rebuild software.

Now you might be able to sign your software.

Br
J. C. Nielsen

Attended DEVCON 2010

Free Tibet
Please use plain text.
New Developer
mi_keller

Re: signature tool error: Unable to create a temporary directory necessary for this application

Apparently the signature tool tries to create this temporary directory somewhere else than in the project directory, my eclipse user has write permissions there an it still does not work.

Running eclipse with Administrative Privileges is simply not an option.

Has somebody been able to figure out where the sitnature tool tries to create the temporary directory, so that permissions on this directory could be adjusted?

Please use plain text.
Developer
Austinstephens

If you are using Vista, as I am, the UAC (User Account Controls) needs to be unchecked, and the system re booted. 

Please use plain text.