04-13-2010 01:55 AM
I know, there's an extra forum for questions about Push Services,
so excuse me that I'm posting here, because more developers read these.
has anyone success using the new 5.0 Push Service SDK ?
I was able to install all, to get the Debug Portal Helpers etc running and can use the samples, where the apps are deployed directly to the device.
But I want to develop using the new Push Service SDK using the BES.
I was able to get the examples from Push Service SDK into Eclipse:
- java project with the server-side app
- blackberry project with the device-app
but this wasn't easy, jar's have to be extracted, external libs imported, javadoc added etc
ok - first release - works
could get all to compile without an error
but unfortunately the example only uses the public push services using BIS,
there's no example using BES
and the sources from the server-side push initiator app aren' very helpful because they rely on a complex webapp using springframework etc.
wouldn't it be better to use a eclipse WTP webapp project instead ? then all could be done from inside eclipse.
then I tried to run the device app in simulator and to test this one using the Debug Portal helper. but if running the simulator with MDS-CS then there are collisions with used ports if you followed the documentation of Push SDK.
... I'm still trying out to make it run and will blog about this then
my question: anyone has made this running ?
- new Push Service SDK using BES, running all inside Eclipse and on Simulator ?
thx for any hint
04-13-2010 09:26 AM
Hi Ekke, Try the webcast for push service https://event.on24.com/eventRegistration/EventLobb
04-13-2010 10:01 AM
thanks - I was already registered ;-)
04-14-2010 05:36 AM
I attended the webcast...
some things became more clear - others not. wasn't easy to follow the Q&A where I can only submit questions, but there's no chat window (as I normaly get if following Eclipse webcasts). without the chat window it isn't easy to know, what question just was answered (even if english isn't native lanuage)
as I understand it right:
* there's no sourcecode or example to download for a simple standalone app, but will follow "in the near future"
* it isn't possible to use the sample from Push SDK using the Simulator
what I didn't really understand:
* in BES/Enterprise push applications:
- can I use the high level services or only the low level
* while developing a not-standalone app I can use a shared development infrastructure
- do I have to do a special registration for this development ?
* if developing a not-standalone app
- I can use as server application the sample app from SDK as start or can develop my own one - I only have to use the jar's from SDK and fullfill the API
- it's not possible to use the simulator using the SDK Sample app - but if I develop my own client and my own server apps, then this can be tested using simulator or only with real device at USB ?
thx for info