Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Curve 8320
Accepted Solution

tcp/udp connection via private wifi network

I want to develop applications to use private wifi network with tcp/udp connection for my Blackberry 8320 (Version 4.2.2.180, without SIM), do I need some authorization from RIM to make them work in the device? If true, how can I get the authorization?

I noticed http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi-hotzone/100800-8320-wi-fi-limited.html

said that:

"The Blackberry 8320 having wi-fi is limited. The only program that can use the wi-fi connection is the Blackberry Browser... all third party programs...ie. Opera Mini, JiveTalk even RIM's Instant messaging programs... Yahoo Messenger, Windows Live Messenger are all designed to connect using the phone's EDGE data......... none of them can detect or use the wi-fi connection!"

If it's true now?

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Re: tcp/udp connection via private wifi network

You can use the interface=wifi parameter in the URL to specify that the connection should be made over Wi-Fi.  However, please note that this parameter is available in version 4.5.0 and higher of BlackBerry handheld software.  Therefore you'll need to upgrade your BlackBerry handheld first.  Furter details can be found here:

What Is - Different ways to make an HTTP or socket connection
Article Number: DB-00396

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800451/800563/What_Is...

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer
My Device: Curve 8320

Finally got a clear answer! Thank you very much!
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Hi Mark, thanks for pointing that article out.

I'm currently using ";deviceside=true" for all my connections in simulator, and it works fine. But when the application is tested on a real device, connection doesn't work. Do you have any suggestions to what the problem might be?

The actual blackberry device I'm testing on is Bold, from Rogers Canada. 

Thanks in advance.

New Developer

In article Different ways to make an http or socket connections, under heading WI-FI Networks, it reads

A BlackBerry smartphone can also be configured to connect directly to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server using a virtual private network (VPN) connection over a Wi-Fi network. What this means is that applications that are making a connection througha BlackBerry Enterprise Server or BlackBerry Internet Service (options 1 and 2 ) can have their connections automatically routed through a Wi-Fi connection without any special logic required in the application.

so does direct tcp connection (using ";deviceside=true") get routed over the wifi connection as well?For example (";deviceside=true;interface=wifi")

My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

Have you also configured the APN for direct TCP connections?  You can set this by going to Options, Advanced Options, TCP on the BlackBerry Bold.

;deviceside=true results in a direct TCP connection that is made over the carrier's network.  It will always go through the carrier's network.  This could go over Wi-Fi if the BlackBerry handheld is connected to the carrier over UMA in which case all traffic is going over Wi-Fi (to the carriers network).

It isn't recommended to specify deviceside=true and interfac=wifi at the same time.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer

Thanks for your reply. I haven't got the chance to solve this problem yet.

I don't have the device on hand to see its APN configurations right now. But I'll verify its tcp settings when it becomes available to me.

The reason for me to have "device=true" from the first place is that my app will need to stream/download data that can be quite large. If i don't have "device=true", then doesn't the connection go through MDS, which only allow smaller download sizes???

Again, when the device becomes available to me, I'll test it without "device=true" to see if it works out better.

My ideal behaviour is to use wireless as much as i could, so that a user can save money. So I want to add "interface=wireless" when possible.

So my final question is, how do I connect over wireless to the internet, but does not go through either carriers' access points or blackberry MDS?

Thanks in advance.