Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Dev Alpha B

Re: tooManyThreads Error

Hi, finally I fix my bug, after spending some time debuging the application,  I found the zomby Thread, it just didn´t stop because a varible wasn´t updated, so it keeps living in an infinity loop, thanks to everyone  your suggestions to where very helpful to track the problem.

Cristian.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

There are several related issues.

First, OP was concerned GC didn't cull his strong reference.

Second, and I can't find a good reference, there are issues with run() exiting but a thread failing

to terminate due to things like open connections or dumb resource issues. Probably

isalive checks for return from run() but not exit of any native thread or resource

( again IIRC, still searching). This is why I was curious about the cause. If the "real" thread

is still consuming system resources, the next OS call will fail to get more of them.

I think I ran into this in the past but again don't remember specifics and certainly not CLDC JVM stuff.

I'd check for any "irrelevant" references or open resources- IO connections, special hardware like

graphics resources, etc.

I'll post some links if I can find them- I just saw one at blackberry.com that mentioned thread count

as a reason to close stuff but I can't find the link.

[ eh, or , em , you could have an infinite loop somewhere. LOL ]

Message Edited by marchywka on 09-26-2008 12:39 PM
Developer

One thing you may want to try, as a test, is to launch a child thread from your run() method and then return.

See how many times you can do this and see what the various counts are. I think that isalive() returns

false once run() returns but the system resources ( effective thread count) may not decrease until things

like children threads die. So, you may only be able to do this MAX_THREAD/2 times as the orphan thread

prevents the system from recording the parent as dead.

I'm trying to refresh my memory and the sun archives are a bit confusing.

Just something to consider if the obvious solutions don't fix things.

Developer

"One thing you may want to try, as a test, is to launch a child thread from your run() method and then return"

Just done that.  The parent Threads terminate, their isAlive gets set false, the ActiveCount reflects the child Threads only, and the processing bombs out as expected after starting 14 parent/child, of which 14 child Threads are still running.

Looks like Rim Thread processing is quite robust! 

Developer

Ok. I can't remember and as I'm sure you know legends get created from simple code bug, LOL.

Anyway, at least earlier IIRC there were conditions in some JVM's where returning from run() didn't mean

everything got released. If you open unique stuff from some thread and it later refuses to die,

it may be something to consider.

Thanks but I would like to find an affirmative case where this happens :smileyhappy: