Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

try to automate an application testing - need help.

Hi,

I am newbie to BlackBerry Java Development.

I developed a custom application for blackberry using BlackBerry JDE. Now to test the same, I want to automate the testing of it. Could somebody help how could I achieve this.

Please point me to api's where I could run my application as deamon process in balckberry and access other application. Is it possible?

Also please point me to related links. I am least bothered though my automation needs to be develped with other lanugage like MDS run time.

Sorry if I posted to wrong group, please let me know the correct contact.

Thanks,

kamesh.

Developer

Re: try to automate an application testing - need help.

I'm the wrong person to answer this as I have not done any of this, but hopefully I will give you some pointers and other people can fill in.

Most of this information came from DevCon 2009, specifically Dev32. and COM18.  I'm not sure what the status is with respect to supplying the slides to people who did not go (if you did go, you can download them yourself), but perhaps you can ask your RIM liaison person and see what they can do about getting these,  You might even be able to buy the conference proceedings here:

https://www.blackberrydeveloperconference.net/

In terms of automated testing. I think there are these options:

a) Unit testing.

Here look for the now open source project called RIMUnit.  I believe there is also a BBUnit package around.  You can use these tools to will test your classes

b) Simulator Testing

It is possible to script input to the simulator and have the Simulator then run the Script.  Not sure that you an interact with the Script, but I guess this is useful as a Regression Test.  You run fledgecontroller.exe.  I found some documentation here:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/6338/Test_BBSmrtphnSmltr_events_using_script_6...

On OS 5.0 Simulators, you can get the Simulator to capture the input.  You can use this in older Simulators to play back, though you will probably want to edit the script.

c) EventInjector Testing

A bit like (b) except you generate events using a program on the BlackBerry itself.  You need to monitor the screen, and the new OS 5.0 function locateDifference and be used to see differences between screen shots.

d) On device testing

For example, using services like DeviceAnywhere.

e) Two other tools mentioned in DEV32

BSquare TestQuest

IBM Rational Functional Tester

Hope this helps

New Developer

Thanks peter,

Your inputs will help me.

I got to know from BB site about DeviceAnyWhere test tools. But if they were able to do it, i thought there might be some provision for us to do the same programatically. So thats the reason I put a post.

Sir.

New Developer
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

What about RIMUnit? Any documentation on it?