Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
elephantbug
My Device: Not Specified

[urgent question]TCP IO Timed Out for background application after lock screen

Hi, All,

Our application has one background service which will send GPS fixes to server every X minutes via TCP or BIS. I notice that if the device is not locked, the transaction can get through successfully most of times. However, after the lock screen shows, it begins to get TCP IO timed Out. Not sure whether it is just coincident with the lock screen.

I am using OS 4.6.x and 4.7.x, on Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon. Any one can share any thought what the cause might be?

It is kind of urgent. Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks.

--J

Please use plain text.
Developer

Re: [urgent question]TCP IO Timed Out for background application after lock screen

1. Do the timeouts occur on BIS-B or Direct TCP connections?

2. Are those read timeouts?

3. Are you establishing a new connection every time you need to send the data, or are you keeping the connection open?

4. Do you receive any applicaton-level data soon after sending a fix? (i.e., Is it request-response, or request only)

Please use plain text.
New Developer
elephantbug

Re: [urgent question]TCP IO Timed Out for background application after lock screen

1. Do the timeouts occur on BIS-B or Direct TCP connections?

tried on both. TCP is IO Timed out.   BIS is local connection time out.

2. Are those read timeouts?

those are write timeout

3. Are you establishing a new connection every time you need to send the data, or are you keeping the connection open?

no, I open and write, then close it

4. Do you receive any applicaton-level data soon after sending a fix? (i.e., Is it request-response, or request only)

No.

I tried more times, actually, it might be related to backlight too. So I add the permission for reset idel time.  However, so 4.7.x devices(tour) still the same, TCP timed out. T-mobile (curve 4.6) though seems working...

Any thought?

Please use plain text.
Developer

Try kicking off a thread that reads from the connection too. See if that makes a difference. The BlackBerry tcp/stream network stack is a bit weird sometimes.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
elephantbug

well, actually, we do read and write both. But just in different thread.

Please use plain text.