Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
cAkins
My Device: Not Specified

x64 Eclipse setup issues.

Hey all.

I run a fully-patched XPSP3 x64 machine and have been trying to set up Eclipse for the past couple of days now with little success. I have installed JDK SE 6 update 21 for 32-bit, downloaded from here. (Click the 'Download' button, select 'Windows' option from the Platform dropdown. Installer file name is jdk-6u21-windows-i586.exe ) Symptoms are thus:

I download Eclipse 3.5 Classic for Windows 32-bit from here, as per the Technical Requirements posted here. It extracts cleanly to C:\eclipse, and running C:\eclipse\eclipse.exe works fine, with no obvious problems. I haven't run a regression test suite on it or anything, but the UI starts and runs, at least.

I download the BlackBerry Java Plug-in for Eclipse v1.1 from here. I run it on C:\eclipse, it proclaims itself satisfied.

I try to start Eclipse, it gets to the Galileo (3.5) splash screen, then pops a message box with "JVM terminated. Exit code=-1." and what appears to be the startup options.

I found this, but apparently wasn't able to implement it correctly. The -vm switch that points to the JDK's version is apparently sorted alphabetically, not overridden - so the end result is that the last -vm command points to the problematic /jre/ folder, and apparently only the last -vm command is applied.

I would deeply appreciate any assistance anyone can render.

Many thanks,

Chris Akins

Trusted Contributor
Davidf65

Re: x64 Eclipse setup issues.

Hi Chris, have you set the path correctly? I am using a 64 bit machine too and its working fine for me. Check your environment variables. Thanks

David

Contributor
cAkins

Re: x64 Eclipse setup issues.

Hi David.

Problem seems resolved after applying advice from StackOverflow. In short: changed initial heap size from the default of 512M to 348M by changing the -Xmx entry in eclipse.ini from "-Xmx512M" to "-Xmx348M" . There may be further problems; if so, I'll open a new thread.

Thanks!