Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
alexko
My Device: BB10 Z30
My Carrier: MTS
Accepted Solution

10.2 and 10.1 compatibility

Hello,

Is it possible to run apps built with SDK 10.2 on devices with OS 10.1?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Developer
greenmr
My Device: Red LE Developer Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Re: 10.2 and 10.1 compatibility

Yes, and no.

I built my app in the 10.1 SDK but it runs fine on 10.0. Normally this wouldn't be the case since I use a 10.1 feature (CustomPicker), but I got around this by designing a CustomControl that loads itself at runtime from a QML file. If the device is running 10.1 then a version of the QML file that uses CustomPicker is loaded, but if running on 10.0 a different version of the QML file is loaded that substitutes the CustomPicker with a container with a DropDown and an Slider to achieve the same functionality. For release I build for 10.1, but then test on both a 10.1 and 10.0 simulator to ensure I haven't used any 10.2 features that I haven't accounted for with my little trick. This way I get the benefit of 10.1 improvements without locking out users that are stuck on OS 10.0.

That said, Momentics 10.2 just made this trick a bit harder. Momentics 10.1 doesn't care what the target OS is on the simulator or device it is connected to. If you build using a 10.1 SDK and connect to a 10.0 simulator Momentics will happily compile your app and try to run it on the connected device or simulator, where it will crash if you used any 10.1 features that don't exist on 10.0. Momentics 10.2 however knows what OS version is on the target device or simulator and won't let you run or debug if the target OS is lower than the SDK you build with. Needless to say I find this annoying, especially since my Z10 is still on 10.1 so I can't build for 10.2 even if I don't use any new features.

Anyway, the upshot is that you can build for 10.2 and it will still run on OS 10.1 as long as you don't use any control types or features that are new to 10.2. The reference web pages for each control type list the OS version it was introduced with. Develop your app with Momentics 10.2 if you like for its vastly improved interface, using a 10.2 simulator. When you are ready to test on a 10.1 device or simulator fire up Momentics 10.1 with a 10.2 SDK installed and use that to install onto the device or simulator.

alexko wrote:

Hello,

Is it possible to run apps built with SDK 10.2 on devices with OS 10.1?

Thanks.

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.
Please use plain text.