Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
BGmot
My Device: PlayBook

2.0 and BB10 application version

Suppose I have an app v.1.0.0.0 signed and put into AppWorld for Playbook 2.0. I've ported this app to BB10 and want to publish it under the same name and the same version but for BB10 device. Is that possible. It seems that I must change version because when I try to sign it I get an error "this version has already been signed".

Can somebody please confirm that I have to change version number even if platform is different?

Thanks.

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: 2.0 and BB10 application version

You can only ever sign a given combination of app id plus version ONCE. This is a limitation of the signing server, not of App World, so there may be other restrictions or complications, but definitely if you want to sign it you'll need to bump at least the minor version number.

I suspect the "version" field in App World can actually be different... for example you could possibly strip the fourth value from it and have both platforms' versions appear to be the same version even though technically they are different.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
BGmot

Speaking about app id, it is what we have in <id>xxx</id> in .bar-descriptor.xml?

Developer
peter9477

I believe it's the combination of that <id> (which becomes the Package-Name field in the MANIFEST.MF file) plus the <authorId> which goes in as Package-Author-Id. I'm not sure they've documented precisely what the magic mixture is.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
BGmot

Thanks Peter.

Can somebody from RIM comment please? What are unique fields defining one application version from signing server perspective?

Thanks.

Developer
BGmot

I've spent a lot of time today trying to achieve what should be really simple/obvious so I'd really appreciate clear explanation here.

Again suppose I have an app BGmotIsSlacker v.0.0.0.1 which is published in AppWorld for PlayBook 2.x.

I port this app (let's call it port as there are changes in the way Qt libs are handled now and screen resolution) to BB10 Alpha device. I successfully sign my BGmotIsSlacker v.0.0.0.10 with Signing Server and now want to put it into AppWorld so happy owners of BB10 devices are aware that this outstanding app is also available on BB10 Alpha now.

I want all users (PB and BB10) to see my app with the same name and version.

What way should I follow:

1) Create new Product with the same app name (actually this step succeeds) and add new binary (this step fails).

2) Under my product BGmotIsSlacker add new binary targeting BB10 device ?

If the answer is 1) then what fields in descriptor file should be changed (except versions) to make it successful?

If 2) is the way to go (I actually have not tried that being afraid that BB10 version will make version for 2.x unavailable) then again what fields in descriptor file should be different from the version for 2.x OS?

And simple quriosity question: when BB10 comes to playbook in what way we'll be managing different app versions for different OS versions (the same device)?

Thanks.

PS: sorry if it is covered somewhere, I did not find any straightforward instructions/explanations.

Developer
peter9477

BGmot, about the option 1 above... you definitely can't do that, since you can never have more than one product posted for sale with the same name. It may let you create another one with the same name, but it has a mutual exclusion constraint on actually posting them for sale.

Developer
BGmot

Just tried to follow 2) and when uploading my signed .bar file i get "File bundle (BGmotIsSlacker-0_0_1_31.bar) has been rejected. Package ID is required for all .bar file. If this is an upgrade, Package ID must match Package ID in original file bundle."
So, I've changed package id as you advised prevously and I've changed version (I have 0_0_1_3 for 2.x)

Developer
BGmot

Ok, went back to my original Package ID and submitted for approval. We'll see whether the version for 2.x will disappear when this one is approved -)

BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
mgoulet
My Device: BB Alpha

Hi there,

Application signing is not my focus point, but this may shine some light on your situation:

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/03/package-id-rejected-by-app-world/

Let us know how it goes;

Martin