Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
hdxpete
My Device: Simulator

25min "launching"

[ Edited ]

Ok,

Finally got to the point with my game where i can start adding assets. Well... i added my assets (total 1.3 gig of data) and now the launching of my application has skyrocketed to 25 MINs. 

What is going on?

are my assets getting signed?

if so can i load my assets myself into a folder on the device? (similar to android)

This is very similiar to the iOS and windows phone 8 proceedure for building executables it seems. I.E. the assets are signed with the code. Do you guys only make applications less then 10meg in size? because us in the real world that make real games for these device only get our development time wasted by 25 min signing of game assets! why did you choose this method?! how can i work around it?

EDIT: almost approx 1hr now "launching"

Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: 25min "launching"

[ Edited ]

I'm a bit confused by the question. You talking about "launching", but you put it in quotes and also talk about *signing* the app. The two are largely unrelated, and happen at different times and in different places. Can you clarify which you're actually talking about?

Note that if you're launching (invoking/executing) the app in development or debug mode, there's no signing going on.

Note also that if the issue is really about launching, and not signing, then you shouldn't be re-installing your assets every single time you launch. Don't blame tools for your problems here if you're misusing them.

Momentics has settings to let you leave the assets in place and not upload them each time, and you can also manually arrange this behaviour by installing your asset files to the shared file area (e.g. under shared/misc/yourappassets) and making a few tweaks to your code to look for them there (during development only).

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
New Developer
hdxpete

listen... i donno all the tools yet.

i've made apps for android, ios, and windows phone. usually when a LONG time is spent with no user update, the tools are usually signing.

the fact of the manor is this.

the tool kit took over 1 hour (and did not complete i canceled it at this point) to "launch" the app.

the app is approx 1.3 gig big. 

something is wrong either with the tools or the simulator. i donno.

but adding 1.3 gig of data to my executable then it taking over 1 hour to copy the executable from my computer to the simulator is TOO LONG!

how can i make this time shorter?

Developer
peter9477

hdxpete wrote:
but adding 1.3 gig of data to my executable then it taking over 1 hour to copy the executable from my computer to the simulator is TOO LONG!

As I said, you need to use the tools properly. There's likely nothing wrong with them, just with your approach. I'm not at all surprised that it takes a long time to transfer 1.3GB of assets, if you do it each time, so don't do it each time.

You haven't said what tools you're actually using, but I'll assume it's Momentics.

In the Run Configurations dialog, you should select the Upload tab, and pick one of the other options than whatever you're using. Possibly "Only upload files that have changed..." is the right one for you. Read them, learn what they mean, and pick the appropriate one. I would expect that to make a big difference for you.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
mreed
My Device: ಠ_ಠ

[ Edited ]

hdxpete wrote:

By not using 1.3GB of assets. Who would want to sit through that download from AppWorld anyway? If its taking you an hour from PC to SIM, consider how long that will be OTA! I don't think the tools are the issue here, your design and expectations are.

New Developer
hdxpete

i am using the eclipse knock off. donno the name yet.

i do appreciate you telling me about that option. however i dont see how it would help when this is the first time 1.3 gig has changed. so how can i go about making this "launching" time shorter?

Developer
peter9477

I gave a suggestion above about using the shared/ portion of the filesystem instead. Possibly if you transfer your data there, it will be much faster than however the installation proceeds. This would be done using the Samba fileshare, or possibly using scp or sftp (SSH-based copy or FTP). All those are supported though I can't say whether it would let you get the initial data into the simulator any faster.

That's something you'll have to experiment with yourself. Please report back to let others know of your results if and when you do.

Developer
peter9477

hdxpete wrote:

i am using the eclipse knock off. donno the name yet.

I have no idea what "the eclipse knock off" is. If you're not using the standard development tools, you should definitely let people know when you ask a question, or you'll get misleading answers.  The standard environment is called Momentics, and it's not a "knock off" of anything, as far as I know, but an actual Eclipse install. Or maybe I'm wrong... I don't really use it much.

New Developer
hdxpete

"By not using 1.3GB of assets. Who would want to sit through that download from AppWorld anyway? If its taking you an hour from PC to SIM, consider how long that will be OTA! I don't think the tools are the issue here, your design and expectations are."

yes i expect a mobile tool chain to be able to handle at least 2 gigs of data for a mobile application.

windows phone 8 can do it.

iOS can do it.

android can do it.

so blackberry can not? good luck getting any people to purchase a blackberry.

i think you fail to realize that on iOS everyone of the top applications is a game. games use considerably more assets then "normal" applications. 

but lets take a look at the newest EA game "real racing 3" it is over a 1 gig download compressed. on ios and android. ohh and infinity blade is over 1 gig compressed on iOS. never played it on android. final fantasy tatics is 500 meg compressed. over 1 gig install on iOS. so obviously the market and users are demanding these size of games. 

does blackberry want EA, Bethesda Software, and Square Enix to put games out on blackberry 10???

if your tool chain can't handle at least 2 gig of data then good luck getting any key game developers to port to your platform. and if you don't have any key game developers on your platform. then you just have a glorified facebook phone. and since facebook just put out there own phone.... 

New Developer
hdxpete

then i am using Momentics.

i never looked at the title of the app. i installed the blackberry ndk on my computer and double clicked the icon and eclipse showed up. i'm not using any tools other then the ones included with the ndk. except svn.

i will investigate samba shares and the other suggestions you made. i very much appreciate it.