Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
hdxpete
My Device: Simulator
My Carrier: None

Re: 25min "launching"

MSohm,

appreciate the response. Ok for now i have to wait approx 1+ hour(s) for the first deloy and any time i change my game data. roger that.  Am currently using the setting previously discussed. 

while i understand (thanks to you) there is plans to optimize this. I really can not stress enough how important this is for game development on your platform.

i do hope we can see this time reduced to less then 10 total minutes (on simulator) before the beginning of the new year.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

[ Edited ]

I agree that waiting 1 hour for a deployment is way too long.  To help us with our optimization we'd like to create some test projects that are similar to real world projects.  If anyone can share the make up of your projects it would help us here.  What I'm looking for is a list of the number of files and the size of each file along with how long it takes to deploy the first time.  Feel free to remove real filenames and any application specific data.  The more examples of projects taking a long time to deploy the better.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
BGmot
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: x

Mark, one of the biggest bottlenecks here is pure transfer speed on NTW level. When deploying it rarely spikes to more than 800kbit/s on USB2.0 connection and absolute maximum I've seen was 1.x Mbit/s. If you could take a  look at this issue and resolve it I think it would greately improve speed.

The second hurdle is some delay after actual transfer is done, as I mentioned earlier it takes about 10 minutes to start application after uploading is done.

You can easily create sample project - pure C with only int main(int, char**){return 0;} but in assets put one huge file, let's say 1G. This asset will not be used by the app but it will be uploaded to the device. This is the worst case scenario, if you have multiple smaller files in assets chances are that they are not all change frequently thus less to upload and better speed.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

[ Edited ]

We are aware of the network bottleneck areas and can reproduce the slow deployment.  But I'm looking for figures of real world applications to see what is common so we can ensure our optimizations provide real world improvements.  I.E Are most 1+ GB applications mostly made up of a single massive file, thousands of smaller ones or some mix in between.  This will help us to prioritize the areas to improve first.

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
New Developer
hdxpete

[ Edited ]

considering you make a huge deal in your documentation about porting android apps. keep going on that use case.

andriod's marketplace allows me to upload 2 files of size 2GB. (assuming 1024 * 1024 * 1024 here) that get downloaded with my app. so to port to your platform i would keep those 2 2gb files and just add them as assets.

at that point i only need to change 1-2 lines of code fopen(filename, "r") where filename was my android obb file now it is an asset in the blackberry project.

my current projects (which are on hold awaiting resolution of this issue) are ios and android ports.

obb file sizes

1.1gb

1.4gb

again i say again. we are putting our blackberry development on hold awaiting resoluton of this issue. so by not resolving you are stating you don't want large projects on your phone.

please fix. you may see it as "one time" hoewever if i need to change one texture it costs me over 1 hour to reupload the data. i don't expect to do texture changes (much) on blackberry. but i do expect it. i dont want to lose 1 day of testing because of your device limitations

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

Thank you for the feedback.  I will pass this along.  We do plan to resolve this.  My statement that you'd only see this the first time (or if you change a large file) was just to verify that you don't see this slowdown if you use the setting mentioned and only change a small file.  If you were, then that's a different issue we'd have to investigate.  I didn't mean to try to justify the current situation.

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
New Developer
hdxpete

[ Edited ]

Hello,

We are reviewing weather we should re-start our BB10 development however we are looking on a status on this issue.

We also need to know the largest application size we would be able to publish. I.E. can we publish a 2gig app? or are we going to have to make it < 50meg and have the user download from our server after purchase?

Thank you

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

Teams are looking into ways to reduce this time and this is on our roadmap.  I don't have a date to share at this point.

For your second question, the maximum application size is 2 GB.

The maximum size of a BlackBerry 10 or BlackBerry PlayBook OS application

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
New Developer
hdxpete

thxs appreciate the link.

for clarity sake... is 2 GB base 10 or base 2? 2,000,000,000 vs  2,147,483,648?

Please use plain text.
Developer
mreed
My Device: ಠ_ಠ

Please use plain text.