Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
hdxpete
My Device: Simulator

Re: 25min "launching"

yes i am using Momentics.

only way to access samba that i found was to download a tool from the blackberry store. i don't think i can do that on the simulator.

the setting to only upload new data was already checked.

found the target file system navigator however i don't seem to be able to upload files via that. only download files. so i am back to square one. waiting 1+ hrs for Momentics to copy 1.3 gig of data from my hard drive to... my hard drive. 

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
rmadhavan
My Device: Z10

Just a tip here with respect to using the Momentics IDE:

Make sure you have the following option turned on:

"Run Configurations" -> current Run Configuration -> Upload Tab -> Deployment (Only upload files that have changed and delete old files from the target"

This will prevent deploying the unchanged assets.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
hdxpete

yes, previously someone else had mentioned that and i said in the post above yours that this particular setting was already enabled. however i do appreciate the assist.

maybe in the future RIM/Blackberry will actually try their tools with something other then the examples they publish....

Please use plain text.
Developer
BGmot
My Device: PlayBook

Do you have your assets as many files or one huge file (everything compressed)?

How much time is spent to upload the same amount of data into iOS simulator?

Please use plain text.
New Developer
hdxpete

[ Edited ]

i am working on 2 particular games.

the first does have the assets divided up into many files. (smallest file being 3 meg largest file being 700meg) the 2nd game has everything as 1 big compressed image due to being a port from Google's OBB system.

compile times on android take approx 2 miunutes. copying the assets to a android device over USB 2.0 takes approx 5 minutes (full data reload).

iOS compile times take approx 3-4 minutes. copy to iOS simulator takes approx 5-7 minutes (full data reload)

wp8 takes approx 10 minutes to compile but <2 minutes to copy (full data reload)

in all cases 80% or more of the compile time isn't spent compiling but signing. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
BGmot
My Device: PlayBook

I've done some experiments with deploying a file 1.4GB as an asset to real device Z10. Yes it takes aproximately 40 minutes. Just packaging takes about 3 minutes, then actual copying ~30 minutes and after copying is done something is going on for at least 10 minutes (checksum calculation?) before NDK starts the app.

Network speed of copying is roughly 0.8MBytes/s

Simple file copy (not deployment) happens for some reason approximately 2 times faster (on netwrok layer).

That suck for huge projects I agree.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
hdxpete

[ Edited ]

THANK YOU!

BGmot really appreciate it you confirming it. now maybe RIM/Blackberry will fix their tools so real projects can be ported to blackberry.

Your device's developers are your first clients, as usually they are the first to recommend or not recommend a product. right now your making my life harder for development on your platform. making me less likely to recommend it. i diagress. 

EDIT: even went here https://www.blackberry.com/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa to report their tools taking too long as a bug and apparently the page load is as slow or slower then their tools because it is still loading after 10 minutes on opera, IE, and firefox. ughh. can someone from RIM/blackberry please respond with recommendations? workarounds? something? will keep this thread alive till a response.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
hdxpete

Could someone from blackberry please respond?

Please use plain text.
New Developer
hdxpete

Could someone from blackberry please respond?

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook

The first deployment can be slow for large applications, but this should only apply for the first time the application is launched or if a large portion of the application contents changed.  If you use the setting rmadhavan mentioned, subsequent deployments should be quick because it'll only need to deploy the elements that changed, not the whole application.

That being said, this is something on our list to optimize.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.