Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Trusted Contributor
fireball003
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: CMCC
Accepted Solution

A custom alarm app

Hi,

I am working on a custom alarm app which will alert the user time to time. However I cannot find a way to schedule the app running and ringing alarm. Recently, I have come across some ported android apps which have similar functionality and they do the job. At the alarm time, those apps turns on automatically and ring alarm. Does that mean we, cascades programmers, have less access to the system than android app developers? How come ported android apps can run at scheduled time and cascades apps can't? Or is there any way to do that in cascade as well?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: A custom alarm app

As of a few days ago, the Roadmap has "headless apps" listed for future release. http://developer.blackberry.com/native/downloads/roadmap/

There's no timeline yet, but we can probably expect this in beta form in the next few months, for release in an update later this year.

There should be a slide on it as well, once the sessions from the recent BlackBerry Jam Europe conference in Amsterdam are posted.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
alopix
My Device: Z10 LE & PlayBook

I bet that's something everyone is waiting for.

BTW. Does someone know if there is an alarm app preinstalled on the Z10?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my apps in the BlackBerry World
Visit my developer blogs /dev/alopix and /home/alopix
BBM Channel: C0047B612
Please use plain text.
Developer
zezke
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

There is a rather nice clock app preinstalled if I remember correctly. I am also eagerly awaiting the headless apps.

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

There's definitely an alarm clock, accessible in several forms. The one on the "night mode" screen is getting talked about widely as one of the most elegant implementations of a clock app on any of the platforms...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
raffi
My Device: Z10 & Z30
My Carrier: Bell

I was just about to create a thread about this very same thing. I was trying to build in some "alarm"-like functionality into my cascades app only to realize I have no idea how to do it.

I found a few Android apps that can do this but I figured the API was mapped for Android apps but the feature was never implemented into the cascades API.

I suppose "headless apps" might solve the problem, but the description doesn't make mention of any day or time triggers. So is this really where we are at right now? Android apps with more functionality than native ones?

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

The headless apps was discussed as being able to "run" the app after it has been closed because it still had to do some processing. It was also discussed at the JAM, that apps could have "cron like" feature to start an app at a time (or periodic time). They said its on the roadmap and will be available some time this year.
Please use plain text.