Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
greenmr
My Device: Red LE Developer Z10
My Carrier: Fido

A real head scratcher...

[ Edited ]

I am trying to solve an issue for a new user... she is in France on Orange and BB10.1.0.2309 on a Q10 (I'm in Canada). She reports that my app will not run at all on her device, even the application menu on the front page is missing when she drags downward. I got her to email me a screencap and can confirm that the application menu is just plain missing. I have no idea how this could be possible. My app should be pulling RSS/Atom feed headlines down onto the front page but it doesn't do that either. For all intents and purposes it seems that my application is completely non-functional other than being able to display the front page UI.

multiFEED has been live on BB World since June and this is the first time I've seen anything like this. I tried downloading a simulator for BB 10.1.0.2309, but there doesn't seem to be one, which surprised me since I thought they released simulators for every version that actually went live on a carrier.

I got the user to delete the app and download it from BB World again but there was no change. Debugging this from nearly 4,000 miles away is proving to be a problem.

Does anyone have ANY idea what might be happening? How could even the application menu be missing?

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: A real head scratcher...

Sounds like a real mystery. I have no idea what it may be.

You didn't say explicitly that she had rebooted. I'd definitely try having her restart the phone and try again, if you haven't already done that.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
greenmr

That is actually a good idea... one of the first things I try on my own device when it starts acting up. I don't know why I didn't think of it myself.

:Oops:

peter9477 wrote:
Sounds like a real mystery. I have no idea what it may be.

You didn't say explicitly that she had rebooted. I'd definitely try having her restart the phone and try again, if you haven't already done that.

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.
Please use plain text.
Developer
strobejb
My Device: bb10 developer
My Carrier: Orange

Possibly you are using a feature of QML that isn't available in your customer's version of the OS?

10.1.0.2038 is available here:

https://developer.blackberry.com/develop/simulator/bb10allsimversions.html

Please use plain text.
Developer
greenmr

Nope... my app runs clean all the way back to BB10.0.

Also, I already looked for the simulator there... my user doesn't have 10.1.0.2038, she has 10.1.0.2309. That download page jumps straight from 10.1.0.2151 to 10.1.0.2342.

strobejb wrote:

Possibly you are using a feature of QML that isn't available in your customer's version of the OS?

10.1.0.2038 is available here:

https://developer.blackberry.com/develop/simulator/bb10allsimversions.html

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
PBernhardt
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Bell

A black screen at the start usually means some sort of QML error like the file not being found. Chasing it down may be difficult, but if the user is on Orange France they should be able to upgrade to 10.2, specifically built 10.2.0.1791. I would recommend they do that before doing further debugging.

Paul Bernhardt
Application Development Consultant
BlackBerry
@PBernhardt

Did this answer your question? Please accept this post as the solution.
Found a bug? Report it to the Developer Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Orange

I take it you when you went back and tested you switched the display size and made sure the static asset selector was picking up (first) the correct page and (secondly) the correct assets from 720x720?

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
Developer
greenmr

Yes, I'm very familiar with what happens when QML is missing or corrupt, although usually that results in an immediate shut down of the app before the user sees anything except the splash screen. If you reread my OP you will note that the application QML DOES load, and the app front page is displayed, but nothing works, and even the main application menu is sometimes completely missing. Other times it did appear, but was completely non-functional. Tapping on any of the three menu options had no effect.

Apologies to all, I should have come back with an update since I originally started this thread, as the situation has changed since then. I came to believe it was an OS corruption issue, and on my own phone I would have tried an OS reload, but I was loathe to ask the user to do something so radical when it might not work for her. Luckily, about a week after I started this thread, Orange France pushed out 10.2.0.1791, and I recommended she upgrade and try again. She did so, and all but one of the problems were resolved, most notably the application menu now appears and functions normally, but now there is a new problem since the app seems to have no Internet permissions, and BB10 doesn't include this permission in the ones you can control from Settings. I started a new thread describing this problem here.

My user is being very patient and cooperative, but I still haven't been able to get my app to work for her, despite the fact it is running fine on hundreds of Q10's around the world.

PBernhardt wrote:

A black screen at the start usually means some sort of QML error like the file not being found. Chasing it down may be difficult, but if the user is on Orange France they should be able to upgrade to 10.2, specifically built 10.2.0.1791. I would recommend they do that before doing further debugging.

Please use plain text.
Developer
greenmr

The only device-specific assets I have in my app are splash screens. Everything else in my app auto-sizes to whatever screen and orientation it is running on.

This is one of those really frustrating and intractible problems where a single user on a single carrier nearly 3000 miles away has an issue that NONE of my other users is encountering, and which I can't duplicate on my device or simulator.

BBSJdev wrote:

I take it you when you went back and tested you switched the display size and made sure the static asset selector was picking up (first) the correct page and (secondly) the correct assets from 720x720?

Please use plain text.