If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Regular Contributor
0x29a
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rodgers

ARM Neon ?

Any one know if inline arm neon is supported on the playbook ?

Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: ARM Neon ?

[ Edited ]

oops, I didn't notice this was in the NDK forum and assumed this was about Android player, please ignore.

Orignal post was:

Android NDK is not supported, so I assume ARM Neon is not either, unless you know a way to do that from Java/Dalvik...

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
0x29a

Well the playbook uses an TI OMAP 4430 which is an implements a cortex a9 processor which implements armv7 ISA which should include neon extensions for the playbook. I am hoping that QNX neutrinos RTOS turns this functionality on as stated in this document

"http://www.qnx.com/developers/docs/6.5.0/index.jsp?topic=/com.qnx.doc.neutrino_technotes/QNX_for_AR..."

ARMv7 has two options for handling single-precision floating point: NEON and VFPv3.

ARMv7 processors boot with the NEON engine and Floating-Point Unit (FPU) disabled. Until you enable these features, attempting to execute any NEON or VFP instructions results in an undefined instruction exception.

At the time of release, the feature to generate NEON instructions wasn't tested on Cortex-A9 because there are currently no Cortex-A9 implementations with a NEON unit. As a result, the feature is available on an “as is” basis.

I am wondering if they defined these. I found the header for inline c of neon its called "arm_neon.h" I don't know how to get the compiler to compile it the ARM website said that its compiler dependent so how does QCC do this with momentics?

Please use plain text.
Developer
taylortbb
My Device: Bold 9900 + PlayBook
My Carrier: Rogers

The OMAP4 in the PB does support NEON, unlike the Tegra 2. I really can't comment on how this works from a compiler perspective as I've never worked with it.
--------
Taylor Byrnes
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
0x29a

I think the document outlines how it works though its a long process I have to go through the conventions for makefiles and multiplatform build tree. To figure out how to tweek the build system ill probably write a tutorial for it sooner or later =)

Please use plain text.