Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: None
Accepted Solution

Access files on the playbook

Apologies for the simple question; I've dug around the documentation but cant find a clear answer.

I want to copy some files (via usb) onto the playbook, lets say I copy a directory MyInfo to the top level folder of my playbook from a PC, the folder contains:

• a txt file 
  • a jpg 
  • and an mp3 file

From an app written using the Native SDK, can I see the directory and 3 files within it? or can I only access mp3 files through a shared/music directory (so lose all info about the directory and not see the other 2 files with it)

many thanks

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Access files on the playbook

[ Edited ]

This and surrounding docs should answer many of your questions: https://developer.blackberry.com/native/documentation/com.qnx.doc.native_sdk.devguide/com.qnx.doc.na...

You mention "top level folder", but note that no app can write either to the root folder (i.e. to / ) nor can they write to the top-level shared folder.  They can write only to their own ./data folder or, with the correct permission specified (access_shared) to the subfolders of shared/.

But to answer the specific question, with access_shared specified, your app can definitely access all the files under shared, even if they are music files that are written outside of the shared/music directory.  You could say that most of those folders exist to serve various system purposes, but a given app can do something different if it wants.  In some cases that may mean giving up certain system functionality, but presumably that's a choice you would make one a case-by-case basis once you understand the system better.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: None

Re: Access files on the playbook

many thanks Peter