Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
dacetBB
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Vodafone

Accessing certs folder from within an app

I´m facing the requirement to download a personalized certificate within an app

and to afterwards install the certificate on a BB10 device (in a BES - connected device).

Thus I have three questions:

1)  Is it possible to access the certs folder from an app using the file access API?

I didn't find the folder 'certs' in the list of allowed folders for the file access.

2) If 1) is not possible: Is it possible to access the folder via network (a call to localhost)?
    - from a desktop PC (using USB) I can see three folders - on of them
    - from the device using the browser with "file://localhost" I see all the accessible and not accessible folders.
      But the certs folder is missing on top level. Does anybody know where in the file system the certs folder can
      be found?

3) Is it possible to invoke the installation of certificates pragmatically?
      In the API documentation I can only find an invocation of the setup app in the view security by

using the URI: settings://security.

Thanks in advance!!!

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Accessing certs folder from within an app

I'm fairly sure the certs folder is not available to third-party apps for security reasons. You can access it from the PC, and that's how you install extra certificates. It's documented somewhere.. maybe even in the on-device Help.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dacetBB
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Vodafone

mmh that would make it more difficult to at least automate the first part of my tasks.

Does anybody know to which concrete folder in the BB10 Device file system the certs folder is mapped or linked?

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

dacetBB wrote:

Does anybody know to which concrete folder in the BB10 Device file system the certs folder is mapped or linked?

It should be /accounts/1000/certificates, but as I said there's no way you can access that without the correct permission, which is not available to us as third-party developers.  Note the ownership and permissions:

drwxrws---   2 root      1000_certs      4096 Mar 15 05:42 certificates

We have no way to acquire 1000_certs group membership, so basically you're out of luck on that front.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.