Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Play Poland
Accepted Solution

ActionItem in OnBar only

Hi,

I have quik question: can I make ActionItem to show only in OnBar  and not to show in InOverflow?

ActionBar.placment is only a sugestion where to put ActionItem. With InOverflow it will not show on OnBar but with 3+ Actions OnBar will apear in InOverflow. But I don't need show this OnBar one more time in InOverflow. Is there any way to hide them in InOverflow?

Thanks

Turdidae

Developer
My Device: Z10 (red Limited Edition), Q10, Z30
My Carrier: Telekom.de, O2, Vodafone

Re: ActionItem in OnBar only

turdidae wrote:

Hi,

I have quik question: can I make ActionItem to show only in OnBar  and not to show in InOverflow?

ActionBar.placment is only a sugestion where to put ActionItem. With InOverflow it will not show on OnBar but with 3+ Actions OnBar will apear in InOverflow. But I don't need show this OnBar one more time in InOverflow. Is there any way to hide them in InOverflow?

Thanks

Turdidae

at the moment there's no way to hide the on-bar-visible actions from overflow

reading the cascades ui design guidelines the overflow should only contain the remaining actions not already visible on the action bar, so I think this will be fixed (hopefully beta 3)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ekke (independent software architect, rosenheim, germany)

BlackBerry Elite Developer
BlackBerry Platinum Enterprise Partner
International Development Mobile Apps BlackBerry 10 Cascades
Cascades - Workshops / Trainings / Bootcamps

blog: http://ekkes-corner.org videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ekkescorner http://vimeo.com/ekkescorner/videos
bb10-development: http://appbus.org Twitter: @ekkescorner
Developer
My Device: Z30, Z10 LE, DevAlpha C, PlayBook

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Has anyone found a workaround for this issue?

B4B review team asked me to remove duplicate buttons from the overflow menu.

When I add actions with OnBar placement, they appear on bar only. But once I add one or more actions with InOverflow placement, all OnBar actions suddenly appear in overflow menu as well. Smiley Sad

Changing the order of actions to add InOverflow ones first did not help. OnBar actions still appear in overflow menu, even when added later.

I've found another thread with suggestion to create the actions once and just modify their properties later, but this also doesn't work. I think that the placement can't be changed after adding the action.

Any ideas are welcome.

Andrey Fidrya, @zmeyc on twitter
Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: NA

"B4B review team asked me to remove duplicate buttons from the overflow menu."

This is nonsense if i understand correctly,

Check this link Navigation Single Screen.

Specifically  they say

"It's important to note that the action menu is displayed only if you add actions that don't use theActionBarPlacement:Smiley SurprisednBar value (or if the action bar is full, as described above). In addition, if an action menu is displayed, the menu contains all of the actions for the Page, including those actions that already appear on the action bar. Consider the following examples that illustrate this behavior"

So testing team wants to change cascade design ? Open a bug on blackberry Smiley Happy

New Developer
My Device: Z10, Q10, Passport
My Carrier: O2 de

I know this thread is old - but unsolved and i found it googling for the same problem. I know that this behavior is not itended to have with cascades but sometimes you are not the one who make the decisions.

My solution is to listen to the actionMenuVisualStateChanged signal and remove all the unwanted action items at state 'AnimatingToVisibleFull' and add them at 'AnimatingToHidden'. To restore all items in the original order, you have to remove all remaining items and add them in the original order again.