Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
PeaweeMatt
My Device: Blackberry Z30

Active Frame development

Hello everyone,

I'm on a Mac using Momentics 2.0, and developing against the 2.0 SDK. I have simulators with OS versions 10.2.1.1925 and 10.2.0.1791. In both cases, I cannot seem to usefully get active frames working right. Going to an active frame simply blacks out the frame when minimized on the 720x720 configuration.

I have a Z30 running 10.2.0 that they do work correctly on.

In an effort to understand my problem, I've tried running the B4B sample app to both verify that it does actually work and see how it works. However, that app also exhibits identical behavior to what I'm seeing. It works great on my physical phone and not at all in the simulator.

Am I not keeping up on latest simulator downloads correctly? I'm assuming that the B4B sample app should be functional.

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30

Re: Active Frame development

Don't forget that the simulator will be slower depending on hardware, how long have you waited for the Active Frame to appear?

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
PeaweeMatt

Several minutes. Ought I give it more?

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30

No that should be more than sufficient.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha

Pretty sure it is a simulator bug.

It seems to be partially dependent upon what language you use, but I have found that Active Frames often do not work on the simulators. I have a number of apps where the simulators show the same issue that you are seeing, but everything works properly on the actuall devices.

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.
New Developer
PeaweeMatt

That's what I was afraid of. Time to bug my buddy with the Q10.

Please use plain text.
Developer
thubalek
My Device: Dev Alpha C, Playbook 32 GB

I have the same issue. I wanted to adapt my apps to new device formats but I'm not able to display active frames in emulator. They rarely show but on 95% of attempts they don't.

How can I develop BB10 apps for new formats? I can buy them as my earnings from BB10 are so low that there is no return of such a investment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- My Blackberry 10 app at http://blackberry.hubalek.net
-- My Android apps at http://android.hubalek.net
Please use plain text.
Developer
NicoBB
My Device: Z10, Q10

Related to your problem, maybe someone will find the following observation useful.

Like many of us I was fighting with the simulator some time ago on many issues. After a while I finally figured out what was actually wrong.
The simulator is quite accurate actually. The "guilt" jumps on the shoulders of the VMware Player which is a free product and some features are limited by the producer. If we would get VMware Workstation instead, the things would completely change (at least for me it did ... a lot). This is a full featured commercial version. They got a trial version so just give it a try (http://www.vmware.com/products/workstation/workstation-evaluation).

I'm not advertising (did not purchased the workstation), but if someone is interested in using the simulator for development, then the VMware Workstation is a much better solution.

Happy Development

If you find an answer helpful hit Like. If your problem was solved hit Accept as Solution.

My Apps: SanQuiz
Please use plain text.