Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
My Device: Simulator
My Carrier: Simulator

Ads and UI in BlackBerry 10

First of all I have to say that the development tools for the BB10 are stellar in comparison with iOS and Android. I don't own a BB10 device but the simulator works extremely well even under GLES2.

I've also submitted my first app developed under the Native SDK ( a game that runs on GL ES 2) and I ran into some common problems. The first one is that I haven't been able to figure out how to compile a cascades app which is using QMake with some native OpenGL code. I imagine it is possible but I need a sample.

For messages to the user I've been using the BPS, specifically the dialog_* functions. But even though those provide some basic functionality it's a shame I cannot compose those entirely from code. I would like to have some basic buttons or checkbox in my app, and it seems that you can do that only with a QMake build.

QMake is kinda weird too as it bypasses preprocessor command lines set up in the IDE and the only way to fix that is to use the precompiled header...

Also, now that I have my app in there, I'd like to add some ads and the ad networks I found that support blackberry only use java. Is there a way to have a JVM inside a native app kind of like how Android does it ? Is there a JNI example that does this so I can use a Java Ads SDK ? or does anyone know about an ad network using a native SDK ?

I know Blackberry has an ad service but I'm unaware of how that works and if my country (Romania) is supported. Microsoft has a similar service for Windows 8 but it's only supported in like 10 countries which is a shame.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/relativegames - My Apps
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: N/A

Re: Ads and UI in BlackBerry 10

Hi there,

I am not aware of any way of integrating Java into a native BB10 app.  I would recommend looking at the following page.

https://developer.blackberry.com/native/documentation/bb10/ad_service-integrating_ads.html

Thanks,
Pratik Sapra
Gaming & Apps Consultant
Developer Relations
@pratiksapra
New Developer
My Device: Simulator
My Carrier: Simulator

Thanks but any clue on whether I can use QMake in an OpenGL App ?

Right now I could use some persistent storage solution and the only thing I found in native is QSettings and it seems I need to include the Q libraries and last time I tried that it wouldn't link...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/relativegames - My Apps
Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: BELL

Here is an app that shows how to mix Cascades (with a Foreign window control) and Native OpenGL ES in a single project

https://github.com/blackberry/Cascades-Community-Samples/tree/master/GoodCitizenCascades

cheers, Ram