Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
Cozz
My Device: Torch
Accepted Solution

Android guy coming to BB. Installation issues with VMWare player/Simulator/SDK

I have installed,

C/C++ QNX Momentics IDE.....installer-bbndk-BB10_0_04-win32-186-201204250810-201204251322.exe
BlackBerry10Simulator....BlackBerry10Simulator-Installer-BB10_0_04-195-Win-201204262359.exe
VMWare....VMware-player-4.0.3-703057.exe

I go to the first steps of QNX Momentics IDE and try to open an SDK sample,
I get Deployment Setup Wizard. I go to Device Setup and choose Simulator.
What do I do now? The last step on the HELP(?) icon says it launches the simulator but I get an Open page with the title "Could not find Blackberry Simulator and it's looking for a VNX file. I have checked and trippled check the previous steps on the help icon.

The simulator is in stalled at C:\Documents and Settings\User1\My Documents\Virtual Machines\BlackBerry10Simulator-BB10_0_04. And I clearly see a file BlackBerry10Simulator.vmx in there
but the SDK app does not see a single VMX file. Just the "controllers" folder and other folders.

I have tried the VMWare player. It works fine.

What am I doing wrong?

Updated my pin
Developer
BryceMcMurter
My Device: Bold 9900 & Playbook

Re: Android guy coming to BB. Installation issues with VMWare player/Simulator/SDK

Hey Cozz,

The initial setup of the IDE and simulator can be a little daunting at times. Some of these steps you have already done but im going to list them anyway:

1. Pick up some Code Signing Keys from here: Keys

2. Download and install Momentics IDE and Install

3. Download and install Blackberry Simulator

4. Download and install VMWare

5. Disable any firewall programs including windows firewall

6. Open VMWare-> choose to open a Virtual Machine -> navigate to your VNX file and open it

7. If this opens really slow try changing the options in VMWare to 2 CPU's and see if you can enable "Virtualization Technology" or "AMD Virtualization" in BIOS

8. Find the Development Address of the simulator (click the icon of the person with the cog wheel on the menu bar of your dev alpha simulator

9. Open the IDE click Window > Preferences on Windows and select BlackBerry and click BlackBerry Deployment Setup Wizard.

10. Follow the on-screen instructions to set up your target (simulator or device) and add your debug tokens to the device.

11. At this point your simulator might not auto discover so add your IP address that you found earlier and if you haven't added a password in your simulator then leave the password blank.

12. The rest of the  BlackBerry Deployment Setup Wizard should run fine.

13. Open a sample application

14. Click on the bar-descriptor.xml file in the  Project Explorer view and select "Set from Debug Token"

15. Right-click the Project file and select Build Configurations > Set Active > 4 Simulator-Debug

16.  Right-click the Project file and select  Build Project.

17. Next Right-click the project again and select Run As > BlackBerry C/C++ Application

18. Hopefully everything should run from there.

Just remember that you have to do 14 - 17 for every project that you want to run through the simulator. And always turn the VM on before you start the IDE I found that things always work better that way.

Hope this helps!

BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gperry
My Device: Developer

Re: Android guy coming to BB. Installation issues with VMWare player/Simulator/SDK

One other issue that can trip you up is connecting to the simulator.

Navigate to the QNX System Information Perspective (top right hand  corner)

In the Target Navigator  you should see sim (localhost) if the sim is showing as localhost not connected the right click

the sim and select Connect,

Developer
Cozz

Thanks a lot guys. I've been away for a while and came back Tuesday. I did exacly what Bryce listed and workd fine! I'm just having problems entering my keys. It's saying they're already registered. It's the keys I recieved from RIM to convert some of my APKs to BARs only to realize certain code won't work on the playbook.

Looks like I'm going to ask for new keys for this machine. Very odd indeed.

And thanks a lot for the help. I finally got it rolling.

Updated my pin
Developer
Cozz

Ok i'm stuck on step 14 where a go to a sample app. I click on the bar-descriptor.xml. I right click it, I tried everything but can't seem to find anything with "Set from Debug Token"

I received new keys from rim and everything registered correctly. The VMPlayer is properly connected as well.

Also, I notice "sim (not connected)" at the bottom of the project explorer. I don't remember that being there before.

Updated my pin
Developer
BryceMcMurter
My Device: Bold 9900 & Playbook

Hey cozz

Step 14 isn't a right click its a double click to open the file. You will see general information about your app including a button that says set from debug token

As for your Sim not connected right click on the Sim in the project explorer click blackberry tools > connect and it should connet to your simulator if its open
Developer
Cozz

VMware Player is giving me this warning on bootup:

multilog warning: unable to write to /var/log//sloginfo//current, pausing: read-only file system.

It popped out of the blue after trying to readjust its screen size setting.  I went back to it's initial setting and rebooted and still nothing. Same black screen with that message repeating itself. The issue was I was never able to see the browser icon in the player, just the shadow and browser name below it. The icon itself wasn't there. And the screen size was way too big in the player. I run an over clocked quad core with dual screen option. I really don't want to mess with my PC settings in fear of my other players giving issues such as my trusty Eclipse.

It's issue after issue. It's been days and I haven't written a line of code yet. Why must this be so complex? I've been coding on and off for almost 25 years. My first was with Basic well before it ever went visual with 5.25 floppy disks. I can honestly say this is by far the most horrifying experience in any OS sim/debug install I have ever tried.

I signed up for BB jam in NY June19 and asked for an alpha device so I don't have to go through this, or at least much of it. I linked them some stuff I did over the last 10 years. Hopefully I get approved for the device. If not, then I simply give up on this.

Updated my pin
Developer
Cozz

Also, on step 15, it says to set it to- 4 Simulator-Debug. But it my menu shows Simulator-Debug on the 6th line (6 Simulator-Debug) and that's what I set it for. I doubt that's an issue though.

Updated my pin
Developer
Cozz

Ok, I have wiped out VM Player and reinstalled it. It's loading up fine now. But I still get the missing browser icon.

I re-ran BB deployment Setup Wizard to get the simulater setup again. Everything is good so far...

The only issue I have is the sim(not connected) problem. I right click, BBtools->Connect.

It gives me an error... Unable to send ssh key to target

Updated my pin