Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10LE
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Animation is choppy unless I touch the screen

I have noticed that animations in Cascades have a higher FPS when I touch the screen. Just have a look at this video (notice the red FPS counter in the corner):

http://sdrv.ms/TzB64T

I’m using an explicit animation to change width, height (ScaleTransition) to 0 and I’m changing the image when the animation ends and then animate it back. Nothing fancy, just typical animation logic.

The animation performance isn’t as good as I would like with 25 FPS, but if I touch the screen – even on the bezel – the FPS rises to 50 and the animation is as smooth as I would like it to be.

Is it a bug or an expected behavior?

And if it’s expected, than how can I control it, so my animation is 50 FPS all the time?

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10LE
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: Animation is choppy unless I touch the screen

For anyone interrested, this has been fixed in the latest OS 10.0.9.1675. It didn't even require a recompilation. The animation just super smooth regardless if I touch the screen or not.

I would like to add: every animation in the system seems faster in this release (the lock screen, application grid page transitions etc). Good job and thanks!